Buying NEW MOTHERBOARD and keeping OLD Intel CPU (LGA 1155) ?

MichaelPontifex

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
Hi everyone! I need someone who's familiar with CPU socket trends.

So I'm buying a new motherboard, because current one (MSI H67MA-E35) is slowly dying and I also need 3.0 PCI-E support for my 3.0 AMD graphics card (I have 2.0 on motherboard). I also want to keep old CPU (Intel® Core™ i5-2400 Processor) to save on budget.
Thing is that this CPU supports only LGA 1155 sockets (as stated on their website) so I would have to buy 1155 socket motherboard, right?
I read about this and found out that socket 1155 is the oldest version and it seems like CPU's supporting it won't be around for much longer if I wanted to upgrade my CPU (or other components) in the future.

I need an oppinion on what to do.
- Buy both newer sockets CPU and motherboard and re-sell old CPU.
- Buy cheap LGA 1155 motherboard with 3.0 PCI-E (if there is one) and upgrade both later.
- Other options?

[What I own now]

Motherboard - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H67MAE35_B3.html#hero-specification
CPU - http://ark.intel.com/products/52207/Intel-Core-i5-2400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz
Graphics card - http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=524951DE-D0A8-44F4-ABD9-ABCE79A16F73&lang=eng

Solution
Pretty sure the Z77 motherboards have PCIe 3.0 with a 3rd gen chip. Installing a 2nd gen chip wouldn't though, but would still work any contemporary GPU.

I agree though that it looks like you need to re-build the core system with a motherboard, ram, CPU, and GPU.

If you just don't have the budget, then a used Z77 board would be the best you can do.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
PCIe is backwards compatible, so a 3.0 card will work in a 2.0 slot.
The i5-2400 can only support 2.0, so if you really, really wanted/needed 3.0, a new CPU + Mobo is your only option.

Which GPU are you moving too? A 270X is still a pretty viable GPU....

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There are no PCIe 3.0 motherboards for LGA 1155 sockets. That said your new GPU will work on a 2.0 slot, they are all backwards compatible.

The problem for you is spending money on a motherboard for a dead platform. You most likely will not find any NEW LGA1155 boards out there, so you're down to a used one. If you spend 50 bucks on it, sure. But I wouldn't go buying a fancy board thats more than that, because when its processor upgrade time you can't do anything with it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty sure the Z77 motherboards have PCIe 3.0 with a 3rd gen chip. Installing a 2nd gen chip wouldn't though, but would still work any contemporary GPU.

I agree though that it looks like you need to re-build the core system with a motherboard, ram, CPU, and GPU.

If you just don't have the budget, then a used Z77 board would be the best you can do.

Solution

MichaelPontifex

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

I know about backward compatibility and I agree with you. Z77 have all I need but they are pricy for used ones.
I guess buying used processor and new motherboard is better option. Will check it out.

MichaelPontifex

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

I'm keeping the GPU.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah at that point better off buying like a new i5-6400 and a $50 skylake motherboard it will perform better and is far newer.