Buying New Motherboard, Need Help

Aleksi Virmanen

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hello

I am buying new motherboard since I really need new one.
I just day ago got my crossfire MSI 7850s, and my MoBo has two PCIe16x slots, and heres the problem: one slot is at 16x speed and another is only 4x speed. It would be good to have twox 16x speed slots right? And also another thing, I have a Intel i5 3570k and I cannot overclock it with the current MoBo because of the chipset I believe, I cannot raise the CPU Multiplier
My MoBo is Asus P8B75-V which has B75 chipset, so can Intel Z77 chipset overclock your CPU, increase the CPU Multiplier?

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Yes, for overclock you need a Z77 capable mobo. And I've read bad things on crossfire on asymmetrical speed slots, between 16x/16x and 8x/8x you won't notice the difference but 16x/4x could perform worse even than a single card.

That said, the mobo you should get depends entirely on your budget as the range is pretty wide...

Aleksi Virmanen

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

THanks alot for those links! one question tho, I have a windows 7 which went nuts last time I switched MoBo, I had to call my PC expert friend to look at it and it took long time since we got it going, switching from B75 to Z77, I guess it would go nuts again?

I would gladly re-install W7 after getting new MoBo, but the funny thing is that my W7 came with and old market PC, which was already installed on the HDD and there was no W7 install disc..

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
It depends on the Windows 7 version, if it's an OEM one then by the EULA you can't upgrade the mobo nor the cpu as it's tied to them so your activation key will not work. For a non-OEM version, you shouldn't have any issues.

Aleksi Virmanen

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

I have an OEM version, so what will happen to it once I switch the MoBo? I really cant afford a W7 at the moment.