Sep 7, 2019
I'm in the process of updating my CPU and decided to settle for the Ryzen 5 3600. It seems I will also have to get a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. Will get a new PSU too because I'm worried my old one won't be good enough (pretty sure it's about 450W, too lazy to check).

Anyway, was wondering if all these parts are actually compatible with each other and won't cause my rig to explode on start up.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...es-config-2018/p/CP-9020172-NA#tab-tech-specs

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...VDDR4-3200MHz-CL16-18-18-38-1.35V16GB-(2x8GB)

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp

+ Running an MSI GTX 960 4GB which I won't be upgrading for now.

Looking for insight on the topic since I'm a PC building pleb (currently on my 1st build which I've had for 3 years)

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

The Corsair VS series (whilst newer ones are better) are lower quality and a budget line ultimately, I myself would not run a gaming system on a VS series PSU. Remember that quantity of wattage is useless without quality.
Just see point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Also the motherboard will need to have a BIOS update prior to using the 3600, which you won't be able to do without a previous gen CPU, or the seller doing it before they ship it to you.

Also 650W is way more than the 960 needs. A good 450 or 550W (with headroom) would be good.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

The Corsair VS series (whilst newer ones are better) are lower quality and a budget line ultimately, I myself would not run a gaming system on a VS series PSU. Remember that quantity of wattage is useless without quality.
Just see point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Also the motherboard will need to have a BIOS update prior to using the 3600, which you won't be able to do without a previous gen CPU, or the seller doing it before they ship it to you.

Also 650W is way more than the 960 needs. A good 450 or 550W (with headroom) would be good.

Solution
Sep 7, 2019

Looking to buy from Mindfacotry currently (seems to be a cheaper choice for parts). They do offer a BIOS-Update when buying components, though quite pricey. It would still be cheaper than a X470 (It requires the same BIOS update anyway). So there shouldn't be a problem in that regard

I'm quite sure I'm running a 450W-550W VS series currently. Do you have any recommendations on an affordable but a little higher quality 500-550W PSU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Looking to buy from Mindfacotry currently (seems to be a cheaper choice for parts). They do offer a BIOS-Update when buying components, though quite pricey. It would still be cheaper than a X470 (It requires the same BIOS update anyway). So there shouldn't be a problem in that regard

I'm quite sure I'm running a 450W-550W VS series currently. Do you have any recommendations on an affordable but a little higher quality 500-550W PSU?
Yes it's one of those where there are certainly worse, but it's a budget line that aren't really made for higher load systems.

The Corsair CX is usually one of the most budget friendly options that's still good quality and has 2 more years warranty.

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
I can also recommend the EVGA BQ or BR 500w 80+ bronze power supplies, I've used them on a lot of cheaper builds and even for running a gtx 1080 at one point & I've never had a problem with an evga power supply & it comes with 3 year warranty

And if you really want to save money AMD offers a free bios upgrade kit, basically once you get your r 5 3600 you contact them, send a picture of it with serial numbers visible & they will send you an athlon 200GE to put into the socket, update the bios yourself & give you a return shipping label to send back their cpu, all for free. The only downside is that you'll have to wait a few days longer to use your new rig.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can also recommend the EVGA BQ or BR 500w 80+ bronze power supplies, I've used them on a lot of cheaper builds and even for running a gtx 1080 at one point & I've never had a problem with an evga power supply & it comes with 3 year warranty
Now that I generally would respectfully disagree with, the lower wattage BQs are some of EVGAs poor models. And for me I'd never go with a PSU less than 5 years :) It's just my view, but I would ALWAYS advocate saving up more to get a good quality PSU and even then the higher wattage are budget and not good value for money when you see the poor ripple suppression, mediocre hold up time, and poorer load regulation. A bit more and you can get excellent.

Cheap PSUs = Cheap Components = Risk to your rig.

I believe you can tell a lot about the quality of a PSU by it's warranty.

Anything 3 years and less is concerning and I would probably never touch myself.
Anything 5 years and less is decent enough, but sometimes questionable.
Then you'll have some of the best that can be around 7 to 10+ years.

For example most Seasonics come with 10 or 12 years warranty. Because they arguably are the best. And their units are fantastic quality. For example:
  • Corsair VS (poor quality) = 3 years
  • EVGA B1 series (E.g. 450B - poor quality) = 3 years
  • Corsair RM (decent quality) = 5 years
  • Seasonic Focus Plus (great quality) = 10 years
  • Corsair AXi (great quality) = 10 years.

Sep 7, 2019
CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU = 6GB KFA2 GeForce GTX 1660 (1-Click OC) PCIe 3.0 x16
Motherboard = ASROCK B450M Pro4 AMD B450 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 mATX (+ a BIOS update for the motherboard so it works with Ryzen 3000)
PSU = 550W Corsair TX-M Series TX550M Modular 80+ Gold
RAM = 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

That's the build I was gonna go for and it all totals to about 650€ with the Motherboard getting a BIOS update before shipping which it apparently needs to actually work with the Ryzen 5 3600.

Now I do have the pre existing MSI GTX 960 4GB and a be quiet! 500W system power 8. I assume the current PSU is somewhat lower quality than the TX550M but I was wondering if I can actually get any kind of use from my GTX 960 by utilizing 2 GPU's?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU = 6GB KFA2 GeForce GTX 1660 (1-Click OC) PCIe 3.0 x16
Motherboard = ASROCK B450M Pro4 AMD B450 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 mATX (+ a BIOS update for the motherboard so it works with Ryzen 3000)
PSU = 550W Corsair TX-M Series TX550M Modular 80+ Gold
RAM = 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit

That's the build I was gonna go for and it all totals to about 650€ with the Motherboard getting a BIOS update before shipping which it apparently needs to actually work with the Ryzen 5 3600.

Now I do have the pre existing MSI GTX 960 4GB and a be quiet! 500W system power 8. I assume the current PSU is somewhat lower quality than the TX550M but I was wondering if I can actually get any kind of use from my GTX 960 by utilizing 2 GPU's?
SLI GPU? If so, SLI is pretty much becoming redundant, you'd be better off getting a new GPU.
The System Power 8 is one of the Be Quiets lower quality PSUs, the TXM I would choose every day of the week. They don't even make the SP8 anymore.

Are you asking to use the 500W SP8 for SLI GPU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If sticking to Corsair, stick to the TXM or Vengeance, not the CX or VS.

If going with beQuiet for a psu, the dark power pro 10 or 11, not the pure power series.

With Evga, for me it's G2, P2 and thats it, although the GQ and GS aren't terrible. The only B series worth considering is the 750/850w B2, the rest being doorstops posing as psu shaped objects.

SLI? Don't bother. There's no sli support at all in DX12, and very little in DX11 newer titles. High vram 4k cards like the 1080ti or better have made sli about redundant, not to mention nvidia has dropped sli bridging with midrange and lower cards, so there's no real benefit to having 2 smaller cards anymore. Not even for physX dedication as there's enough juice on a single large card not to have that need.

If really wanting G-skill ram,
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€118.89 @ Alternate)
This is what I'd be using. Serial code ends in 'X' so is specifically tested as Ryzen certified. While all ram should be ram, it's not the same. Sticks that work just fine on Intel may not with Ryzen due to Single or Dual Rank. Ryzens do not particularly like Dual Rank ram, especially at higher speeds. Single Rank/Dual channel has the least amount of issues.

Sep 7, 2019
If sticking to Corsair, stick to the TXM or Vengeance, not the CX or VS.

If going with beQuiet for a psu, the dark power pro 10 or 11, not the pure power series.

With Evga, for me it's G2, P2 and thats it, although the GQ and GS aren't terrible. The only B series worth considering is the 750/850w B2, the rest being doorstops posing as psu shaped objects.

SLI? Don't bother. There's no sli support at all in DX12, and very little in DX11 newer titles. High vram 4k cards like the 1080ti or better have made sli about redundant, not to mention nvidia has dropped sli bridging with midrange and lower cards, so there's no real benefit to having 2 smaller cards anymore. Not even for physX dedication as there's enough juice on a single large card not to have that need.

If really wanting G-skill ram,
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€118.89 @ Alternate)
This is what I'd be using. Serial code ends in 'X' so is specifically tested as Ryzen certified. While all ram should be ram, it's not the same. Sticks that work just fine on Intel may not with Ryzen due to Single or Dual Rank. Ryzens do not particularly like Dual Rank ram, especially at higher speeds. Single Rank/Dual channel has the least amount of issues.
I found a 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit for a 10€ higher price point than the G.Skill Ripjaws one. This would be a better suited option for my build, having the X and all that? Also just checked and saw a website recommend it being best value for the Ryzen 5 3600.