[SOLVED] buying new pc, need to know if this build is alright or not

Jul 28, 2019
hey! my budget is about 1300 usd. i can go a little over budget, but like fifty dollars more. preferably, i would like to stay in the 1200-1300 range. anyway, i built this list a little while ago, and was wondering if this'll run most games? thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bjvpq4

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's quite a bit of waste here. First, if you're not getting a higher-end cooler, the Hyper 212 isn't really worth it over teh stock cooler. Do you already have the GPU? It's not included in the price. I like EVGA G3s, but paying $160 for an 850W PSU you don't need it fairly wasteful as well. You can get a 650W G3 for nearly $50 or less.

And I just can't get over the RGB lighting solution. It seems extraordinarily wasteful to spend $100 on RGB lighting plus controller when you're making a modern PC with a small, non-NVME drive, and a slow storage drive. Sure, my main rig has a lot of RGB lighting as well, but it wasn't taking budget from parts that would actually make my PC better-performing.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Seems alright, but please double check on that cooler, I used to use that same cpu cooler on my intel PC but it did not come with the mounts for the AM4 socket out of the box. It may say something like "compatible with AM4" BUT you may have to contact Cooler Master to send you the brackets for AM4.

Jul 28, 2019
There's quite a bit of waste here. First, if you're not getting a higher-end cooler, the Hyper 212 isn't really worth it over teh stock cooler. Do you already have the GPU? It's not included in the price. I like EVGA G3s, but paying $160 for an 850W PSU you don't need it fairly wasteful as well. You can get a 650W G3 for nearly $50 or less.

And I just can't get over the RGB lighting solution. It seems extraordinarily wasteful to spend $100 on RGB lighting plus controller when you're making a modern PC with a small, non-NVME drive, and a slow storage drive. Sure, my main rig has a lot of RGB lighting as well, but it wasn't taking budget from parts that would actually make my PC better-performing.
Seems alright, but please double check on that cooler, I used to use that same cpu cooler on my intel PC but it did not come with the mounts for the AM4 socket out of the box. It may say something like "compatible with AM4" BUT you may have to contact Cooler Master to send you the brackets for AM4.
okay, thank you guys for your help. i removed the rgb lighting and replaced the psu with the Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

with the cooler, should i just remove it and just use the stock cooler? a friend of mine had some issues with the cooler saying it couldnt mount or something like that, so he bought another cooler which is why i added the Hyper 212.

thank you!

new list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yv6pK4

Jul 28, 2019

also no, i dont have the gpu. the price was included but im not sure what happened ill change it right now.

edit: im not really sure what to change it to. do you have any recommendations? if you have to go over the budget thats fine i suppose, just not too much. thank you

also no, i dont have the gpu. the price was included but im not sure what happened ill change it right now.

edit: im not really sure what to change it to. do you have any recommendations? if you have to go over the budget thats fine i suppose, just not too much. thank you

It will bust your budget by 300 bux if you don't have the GPU. The 2070 Super isn't cheap.

And please change that 5400 RPM drive for a good drive.

If I were you I would buy these two.

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-... evo&cm_re=samsung_evo-_-20-147-674-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822236625?Description=wd black&cm_re=wd_black-_-22-236-625-_-Product

They are so much better even if the WD Black is only 1TB. It's worth it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($152.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: MSI Optix G24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1328.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 16:03 EST-0500

This is what I would do on your budget. You have to come off somewhere and I rather get a 3600 instead of a 3700x and a slightly cheaper case if this is a heavy gaming rig; it enables you to fit in a 2070 Super and a better storage situation.

The MSI is a better panel (VA) and a better brand. I'd really like to fit in a 1440p monitor, but I'm just out of budget room. To get a 1440p with 120 Hz or up, it's an extra hundred which would be hard to squeeze out. You can get a 75 Hz 1440p monitor for $30-$40 more, but 1440p 75 Hz vs. 1080p 144 Hz isn't obvious and might come down to the games you play.

There's nothing wrong with the stock cooler. It's designed just fine for the motherboard. It's likely that he did a poor job installing it. There's little gain from the stock coolers to a budget cooler these days.

Solution
Jul 28, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($152.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: MSI Optix G24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1328.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 16:03 EST-0500

This is what I would do on your budget. You have to come off somewhere and I rather get a 3600 instead of a 3700x and a slightly cheaper case if this is a heavy gaming rig; it enables you to fit in a 2070 Super and a better storage situation.

The MSI is a better panel (VA) and a better brand. I'd really like to fit in a 1440p monitor, but I'm just out of budget room. To get a 1440p with 120 Hz or up, it's an extra hundred which would be hard to squeeze out. You can get a 75 Hz 1440p monitor for $30-$40 more, but 1440p 75 Hz vs. 1080p 144 Hz isn't obvious and might come down to the games you play.

There's nothing wrong with the stock cooler. It's designed just fine for the motherboard. It's likely that he did a poor job installing it. There's little gain from the stock coolers to a budget cooler these days.
oh my god, thank you so much dude! don't worry about the monitor thing, i think you made a nice choice for me. thank you for building me a list, that was my first list and was kinda scared id buy it all and nothing would be compatible. again, thank you!
It will bust your budget by 300 bux if you don't have the GPU. The 2070 Super isn't cheap.

And please change that 5400 RPM drive for a good drive.

If I were you I would buy these two.

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-500gb/p/N82E16820147674?Description=samsung evo&cm_re=samsung_evo--20-147-674--Product

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822236625?Description=wd black&cm_re=wd_black--22-236-625--Product

They are so much better even if the WD Black is only 1TB. It's worth it.
thank you for the suggestion, i know just about nothing when it comes to hard drives or really anything about PC components LOL. currently i have a 1TB WD Blue 3.5" drive on an IBUYPOWER BB930 that I've had for two years and the drive is busted. i can't download anything on it without running as an administrator, and sometimes i cant download things at all. didnt have this problem before, so idk whats up with it.

well, thank you both for your suggestions and i appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to help me! have a good day everyone!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
oh my god, thank you so much dude! don't worry about the monitor thing, i think you made a nice choice for me. thank you for building me a list, that was my first list and was kinda scared id buy it all and nothing would be compatible. again, thank you!

thank you for the suggestion, i know just about nothing when it comes to hard drives or really anything about PC components LOL. currently i have a 1TB WD Blue 3.5" drive on an IBUYPOWER BB930 that I've had for two years and the drive is busted. i can't download anything on it without running as an administrator, and sometimes i cant download things at all. didnt have this problem before, so idk whats up with it.

well, thank you both for your suggestions and i appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to help me! have a good day everyone!

It actually sounds more like a Windows issue than the drive itself; a broken hard drive just wouldn't be able to be accessed and running as administrator wouldn't do anything for it. You could just get the NVMe drive and see if your old one works on your new PC after formatting it.

Jul 28, 2019
It actually sounds more like a Windows issue than the drive itself; a broken hard drive just wouldn't be able to be accessed and running as administrator wouldn't do anything for it. You could just get the NVMe drive and see if your old one works on your new PC after formatting it.
oh i see. like i said i know just about nothing when it comes to PC components so i wouldnt know haha. well, thank you for your help sir! i appreciate it greatly.

Jul 28, 2019
hey would you say id be able to use https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...GX3pRS4Znkj_QT91TSIBiXKeSAtJIPpEaAvWvEALw_wcB this case as opposed to the other one and everything would fit still? thank you !

TRENDING THREADS