[SOLVED] Buying new power supply

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
I was thinking to buy Seasonic G-650.It would power up i5 3470,rx 570,ssd,hdd my question is how good is this PSU i mean for the price i can buy it used for 35-40 euro. And here in Bosnia that is not that cheap either sitting with tight budget since i have to buy rx 570 aswell im left with this unit to consider so what are your toughts?

Solution
Exceeding the budget is your call. If you're ok with that, then I'd go with it. It's not as good a model as the Seasonic, but it's also new, you do get the longer warranty and you're not likely to have any issues.

I'd go with the new Corsair VS650.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
My thoughts are you never want to purchase a used power supply. You have no idea how hard it's been used (or abused). Seasonic is a pretty good brand and a new unit would serve your purposes very nicely. If you trust the seller, then I'd be ok with the deal. Coming from an unknown source, however, I'd be very concerned. Do you have any kind of buyer protection? If it doesn't work, can you get your money back?

-Wolf sends

toshibs2002

Honorable
Jun 19, 2018
Well the seller is pretty trusted he kinda has his little online store with used electronics and new ones aswell,i get a 1 month warranty if something happens during that period i can get my money back.I can get 650W THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER,12CMFAN/A-PFC/PS-LTP-0650NPCNEU-2
new for 50 euro with 12 month warranty or corsair VS450 for 50 euro new aswell with 3 year warranty.What is your opinion still?

Wolfshadw

Titan
The problem with power supplies is that when they fail, if they fail, spectacularly, they take other components with them (graphic cards, motherboard, RAM, CPUs, etc...). These are the things the warranty does not cover. Of the three possible units, I'd toss out the ThermalTake unit. It's really a tough call between the used Seasonic and the new Corsair.

The Seasonic is going to have better protection so if it fails, it's less likely to harm any of your other components, Also it has the extra headroom so it's not like it's being pushed that hard when running your RX 570.

The Corsair has the advantage in that it's new and it also comes with the three year warranty. The down side is that it's at the lower end of the recommended power requirement for your graphics card. There's no extra headroom. This isn't really a problem as the recommendations are typically overstated and are for the whole system anyway, but I still like having the extra head room,

Ask the seller if he'd be willing to extend the warranty for the Seasonic to six months. He'll probably say "no", but there's no harm in asking. If, on the off chance he says, "Yes", you have your winner and get the Seasonic. If not, go with the new Corsair.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Exceeding the budget is your call. If you're ok with that, then I'd go with it. It's not as good a model as the Seasonic, but it's also new, you do get the longer warranty and you're not likely to have any issues.

I'd go with the new Corsair VS650.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: toshibs2002
Solution