Question Buying New Ram Choice of 3.

Jul 19, 2019
Morning!

I want to start by apologizing as im not sure where this should go and assumably questions like this flood the forums.

So im not tech savvy. Ive built rigs but mostly with instructions and help.

Im upgrading my ram from 8 to 32. As far as I can work out that is my max on this motherboard.

I have found the QVL allowed sheet. But have yet to find any sticks to match it but I think Ive found what im looking for

These are my choices:
Now As far as I can work out. Higher the mhz The faster it cycles making the savage the best of the 3?
tdlr:
savage = 4x8 at 2133mhz £196 (I find it odd is 2 sticks is £100 but 4 sticks is 450)
fury = 4x8 at 1866mhz £142
vengence = 4x8 at 1600mhz £115

Hyper x savage
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-HX3...ZBGWATMZATM4Y&qid=1563487923&s=computers&th=1

Hyperx fury
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-HX3...ywords=ddr3&qid=1563487923&s=computers&sr=1-6

corsair vengance
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R-Vengeance-1600Mhz-Performance/dp/B00D6E5K2A/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=corsair+16gb+ddr3&qid=1563487397&s=computers&sr=1-1&th=1

heres my current specs if itll help.
amd fx-9590
currently have 2x4 corsair ddr3

Im trying to figure out how to upload my rogcpuz screenshots. But I think I need an image account on another website.
anyway

thank you for reading.

I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Jul 19, 2019
Really, it depends on your motherboard model. What model is your motherboard?

Hey sorry, Had an awful weekend at work.

So as far as I can work out from rog cpu-z

My motherboard is a
Crosshair V Forumla-z rev1.xx
chipset: AMD RD9x0 rev. 02
southbridge: AMD SB910/950 rev.40
LPCIO: ITE ITE8721

BIOS: 2201-AMD AGESA OROCHIPIV 1.5.0.2
03/23/15

Graphhics interface
pci express
link width x16 max supported x16

Thank you!

If you feel like you NEED 32GB then I'd recommend this kit. I'd just about guarantee that anything faster than 1600mhz is going to be a tough sell on AM3+ since it is going to require all four DIMM slots be populated, and none of the AM3+ boards like to run, regardless of the CPU model, with four DIMMs that are higher than 1600mhz.

It CAN be done, but you would want to buy the very highest end memory kit like the Dominator Platinum or Trident X series kits, and those are extremely expensive. The performance difference won't be much anyhow and the price is more than double. I'd stick to these, and you STILL could have issues with four DIMMs on AM3+ but if it's going to work, it will probably be on the board that you have so it's worth a shot.

Keep in mind too, you have just about the hottest, high TDP processor with the most problems that any CPU from any generation has ever had, and adding two additional DIMMs for a total of four is going to increase CPU thermals somewhat as well since you'll be running more voltage through the memory controller.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£115.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £115.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-23 03:43 BST+0100

Jul 19, 2019
If you feel like you NEED 32GB then I'd recommend this kit. I'd just about guarantee that anything faster than 1600mhz is going to be a tough sell on AM3+ since it is going to require all four DIMM slots be populated, and none of the AM3+ boards like to run, regardless of the CPU model, with four DIMMs that are higher than 1600mhz.

It CAN be done, but you would want to buy the very highest end memory kit like the Dominator Platinum or Trident X series kits, and those are extremely expensive. The performance difference won't be much anyhow and the price is more than double. I'd stick to these, and you STILL could have issues with four DIMMs on AM3+ but if it's going to work, it will probably be on the board that you have so it's worth a shot.

Keep in mind too, you have just about the hottest, high TDP processor with the most problems that any CPU from any generation has ever had, and adding two additional DIMMs for a total of four is going to increase CPU thermals somewhat as well since you'll be running more voltage through the memory controller.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£115.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £115.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-23 03:43 BST+0100

Thank you for all the info!

I do alot of rendering plus games and felt 32gb would help out in that department.
Ive just swapped to an ssd as well.

I have a corsair h100igtx Cooling it all.

I have noticed that sony vegas randomly locks out the pc on render. assumably down to heat but nothing else does it.

I guess its worth a shot for a £100 quid.

Thank you for all your help! Its really helped!

You're welcome. I agree, if you are doing complex rendering, the extra memory is going to help. For gaming, over 16GB will probably not do much unless you are heavily multitasking such as recording, streaming, many browser tabs, etc., alongside the game engine.