Question Buying New Receiver - HDMI 2.1, 8K, and VRR worth it?

kcoomes

Reputable
Jul 6, 2016
I'm moving into a new house that has been wired throughout with in ceiling speakers (only 5.1 setup unfortunately). In my living room (main room), I'm looking to get a new receiver and would hopefully like to get something that is going to make sense for several years. I'm looking at a PS5 and record player hooked up but other than that we mainly use SmartTV functions (Hulu for Live TV, streaming for movies, shows, etc.) and bluetooth music from our phones. I would like something with 2 zones as I have a covered patio and speakers wired back to the same connection in the living room.

I worked at Best Buy in Home Theater years ago (2007-08) and haven't upgraded from my Pioneer Elite 7.1 channel since that point so I'm kind of a deer in a headlights. I've seen a lot terrible information about the new HDMI 2.1 with VRR and 8k upscaling (i.e. faulty processing and literally unusable features on the initial models). Obviously, it would be nice to get have the VRR with the PS5.

Any suggestions on what to look for in something under $1000.00 or am I kidding myself to find something with HDMI 2.1 at that price range (that actually works)? I saw new models might be coming in June and August (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite), is it worth it to wait a couple months?

Thanks in advance!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS