Buying new system next month, opinions sought.

NextGear

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
rad666,

Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor

Everything starts with your motherboard, I love to see this with max 128GB memory!
Your Processor is an excellent choice.

Your SSD, be adventurous and try the m.2 SSD form factor instead.

Pc usage? A mid range gpu with an enthusiast platform doesn't say gaming to me but that's all you mention. Even with multiple top end gpus, it's not needed. Bigger ssds are cheaper than multiple small ones unless you want them for scratch which still doesn't make sense to get them that size. Again telling me it's not gaming but not stated.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

Multi use. Gaming is the heaviest load but I will also use it for graphic design, writing, and other lower weight things. With the GPU, yes it's mid range but I plan on revisiting it in a year or so and see if it is still good enough. At 1080p, with frame rates between 30 and 60 (I don't notice frame dips if they stay above 30), the RX 480 should be enough.

With the SSDs, I already have one that I have Skyrim, Fallout 4, and other mod heavy games. I consider this a high use drive and want to keep it separate from other things, just in case. I know it's probably not going to be an issue, but still. The first drive will be my new system drive, with all of my programs installed and the OS, it uses about 130GB, the extra space gives me room to grow if needed. The second drive is for other games, music, videos, etc. If you have a good reason why a single 500 is better than the two 250s, I would like to hear it and make an better informed decision.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

I will consider your suggestions, thanks. Though I'll probably stick with the 6800k/X99 combo. don't want to upgrade again for as long as possible, so a bit of overkill is allowable and within my budget...just.

The case is a Silverstone Kublai KL05-Q. My desk has a space for a case, and that one is about as large as will fit comfortably. What would you recommend for a 120mm cooler, I only chose the Noctua because of the reputation, but I'm open to others.

Note that I don't trust water coolers, even closed loop ;)

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

That works, and with a 500gb 850 EVO the total cost remains nearly the same :)

Do you think it will work with only the center fan? Noctua says the memory clearance is 32mm with both fans, and the G-Skills are 42mm with the heat sinks.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

[looks at order...looks at eight mobo memory slots...remembers reducing from quad to dual channel...]

>FACEPALM<

Sorry. It's my system (well, going to be), you'd think I'd remember little details like that...;)

Actually a push config would be better and you can move the ram to other slots. Even without the fan, the size of the heatsink is what helps the most. The airflow from the one fan and case fans should keep temps down enough. You could get shorter ram and the fan does move up some but the case will limit that.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

I do have two 120mm fans on top blowing in, and two 120s in the front doing the same. A single fan in the back blowing out and a lot of venting keeps things nice and cool, even with an FX8350 (stock cooler) and an HD7970 ghz ed. (Sapphire Vapor X) under load.

At least I know I have options.