Buying parts for my first PC build. Need some advice!

raedrob

Commendable
Mar 12, 2017
Hey!

I've very recently decided to build my own PC for the very first time, as I'm currently using a laptop that's not doing super well. This will be a gaming PC, so I want it to handle most games pretty well. Note that I don't have any experience with overclocking and haven't planned on dabbling with that anytime soon. Other than that I just want a build that's overall decent. I live in Norway, so I'm looking at parts provided by local electronic stores (Primarily used www.komplett.no to browse so far). Import tax and shipping is mostly guaranteed to negate any savings I'd find on international sites.

So far I've made a first pass of all the components I need. However, I have no idea if all the parts are compatible with each other, or if there are more suitable options for me. My shopping list so far looks like this:

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Graphics card:
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 8GB

Motherboard:
ASUS Prime H310M-D, Socket-1151

PSU:
EVGA BQ 650W Hybrid Modular 80+ PSU

SSD:
Kingston SSDNow UV400 480GB 2.5" SSD OEM

Chassi:
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C Midi Tower

If there are any glaring mistakes or improvements I should make in order to improve this build, I'd love to hear it.

I've made myself an estimated budget of 1400-1500 USD, and with the prices of the local webshop I'm just over 1400 USD right now. If there's any more info that would make it easier to help me, please let me know!

Solution
9799 whole set: https://www.komplett.no/product/986452/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/pc-i-deleroppgradering/pc-i-deler-amd/pc-i-deler-ryzen-value-gamer-1600?offerId=KOMPLETT-310-986452#

For the same price as the 1060 6GB you can get a used 580 8GB which outperforms the 1060 entirely.
Also, no Ryzen fits in a LGA 1151 motherboard...
PSU could be better.
And finally, Kingston SSDs are known for bait and switch NAND flashes, which could mean less reliability and performance. I recommend going for another brand of SSDs.

^+1
Major issue is the motherboard, Ryzen is AM4 bracket while your motherboard is 1151. You need A320/B350/X370/X470 MB's. I will suggest a B350 MB even if you don't want to OC now. pcpartpicker is a good place to check compatibility. BQ psu is no good. What is your major usage and budget in local currency? What is your monitor BTW?

raedrob

Commendable
Mar 12, 2017

Thanks a lot for the comments, this is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to hear! In addition to swapping the MB with something from your suggestions, I'll look for alternative PSUs and SSDs.
The listed parts cost me just under 11k NOK, with the graphics card being 4,2k at the selected store. I am willing to spend 10-12k NOK on the PC.
As I'm currently using a laptop, I actually do not own a monitor, so that's gonna be on my shopping list as well. If there's anything specific worth knowing about monitors and PC builds, I'm all ears!

raedrob

Commendable
Mar 12, 2017

Wow, I can't believe I missed that when searching all around the site for individual parts!
This is more or less exactly what I am looking for. Thanks a lot for the help!