Question Buying RAM from two different brands but with same capacity, frequency and timing(variable).

Dec 31, 2022
I have a Apacer Panther DDR4 8gb 2400mhz ram stick on my H110-S2PH mobo.

It's timing is 16-16-16-36(while on XMP2.0....The sticker on the ram also says it's 16-16-16-36) otherwise on default, it was on 17-17-17-39(xmp off).

It's stock out right now and I have a budget. So I'll probably have to go for a different brand stick.

So the frequency(2400mhz) and capacity(8gb) will be the same but which timing should I buy CL16 or CL17?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Buy a kit if you want insurances otherwise it'll be trial and error, hope for the best thing, with good return policy. No identical specified ram is a guarantee, only a kit is since they've actually been tested for compatibility between them and also binned with same materials at that time of manufacture. So, buy any ram with similar specs and hope for the best.

Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
I have a Apacer Panther DDR4 8gb 2400mhz ram stick on my H110-S2PH mobo. It's timing is 16-16-16-36(while on XMP2.0....The sticker on the ram also says it's 16-16-16-36) otherwise on default, it was on 17-17-17-39(xmp off).

Now I want to buy a new 8gb ram stick. I was trying to for an identical stick but it's out of stock now. So I have to go for a different brand stick.

So the frequency(2400mhz) and capacity(8gb) will be the same but which timing should I buy? Will it be a problem if I can't find a similar timing ram. (Note that I know it's better to buy an identical stick but I don't have any choice right now)
Hello!

Mixing RAM is not a good idea.
When mixing modules, they will run at the speed of the slower one.
However, in rare cases they won't work together at all! Error message!

My advice:
Sell your RAM stick & buy a kit of 2 modules (make sure that they are on the QVL of your motherboard!)

PS: I hope this helps...

Reactions: Tac 25