[SOLVED] Buying Ryzen 5 3600

Dat Le

Reputable
Mar 1, 2020
Is the Ryzen 5 3600 worth buying right now and it will easily become obsolete in the next few years and especially when the next generation is coming?

Solution
It all depend on your use case scenario, for gaming it should not become obsolete in the next years.

Also if you get the right platform around it (meaning a B550 ox X570 motherboard + DDR4 3200 or better 3600 with good timmings), you will be able to buy a (lets imagine this will be the name) "Ryzen 4700X" (8 cores/16 threads) later on and have a (according to rummors) a nice bump in performance + a nice bump in cores and thread count.

Or you can spend a bit mroe and get an intel cpu with a B460 or Z490 mobo and be able to upgrad elater on too (keep in mind B460 mobos have limited DDR4 speed support, that depends on the CPU line you choose).
It all depend on your use case scenario, for gaming it should not become obsolete in the next years.

Also if you get the right platform around it (meaning a B550 ox X570 motherboard + DDR4 3200 or better 3600 with good timmings), you will be able to buy a (lets imagine this will be the name) "Ryzen 4700X" (8 cores/16 threads) later on and have a (according to rummors) a nice bump in performance + a nice bump in cores and thread count.

Or you can spend a bit mroe and get an intel cpu with a B460 or Z490 mobo and be able to upgrad elater on too (keep in mind B460 mobos have limited DDR4 speed support, that depends on the CPU line you choose).

Solution
Is the Ryzen 5 3600 worth buying right now and it will easily become obsolete in the next few years and especially when the next generation is coming?

Obsolete is all relative...since the "next best thing" is always coming.

To someone doing high end video manipulation or photoshop work yeah it'll be obsolete in a year or two...but then again they likely wouldn't be buying a 3600 today to begin with.

A better question is - What are your needs ?

If you're a gamer the 3600 should last a few years without issue as the GPU is more likely to cause issues than a 6c/12t CPU in that time frame.

If you're someone who builds and keeps a system for 5 years or more and streams games or does video/photo work then I would probably pick the 3700x or even a 3900x myself.

AngelJin

Commendable
Jun 19, 2020
Well things is simple 3600 worth to buy. Ppl still buy 1600. If u want a cpu to last 5 years u have to forget that senario cause new cpu's dont old as good as old ones the technology made huge leaps so if u can keep a cpu for 2-3 years u made a good buy.Atm if u need cpu 3600 is the best choice if time isnt a issue u can w8 for 4000 series.Also u have to consider what monitor u will game on 60hz-144 hz what gpu u will useFor productivity i ll suggest u go to 3700x.I believe that most ppl that want to upgrade atm will w8 for 4000 series launch and new gpus and probably will end with 3000 series cause of prices drops dont forget that 4000 series will probably be last cpu's in Am4 socket.