Question Buying the right CPU for me

Oct 16, 2022
Hey! I'm building a new PC, and I'm a bit torn on which CPU I should buy. The short story is I have until Sunday to figure it out, so I need your help.

My GPU is Radeon 6650xt (already bought) and 16gb ddr4 3200mhz ram. I've narrowed down the CPU options to these (I'm not shopping in the US, so the prices are a bit different):

• Ryzen 5600x 167$ + Asus PRIME B550M-A AM4 106$ = 276$
  • Intel 12th gen 12600k 270$ + ASRock B660M Steel Legend 150$ = 420$
  • Intel 13th gen 13600k 346$ + ASRock B660M Steel Legend 150$ = 496$
A quick few notes before you lash out in the comments:

• These are the prices in my country, so whatever price you see might be different
  • For some reason, 5600x is cheaper than 5600 (??)
  • I'm not interested in overclocking
  • MSI PRO B660M-A is more expensive and does not support bios flashback - and thus gen 13
What do you say?

Would your answer change if I said I'm planning on upgrading the GPU in 4-5 years and want the CPU to still be viable then?

Reactions: jnjnilson6

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4-5 years is a different story. Probably wouldn't recommend DDR4 today, but that ship has sailed. But if you want it to last as long as possible, buy the fastest you can afford today.

DDR5 and Ryzen 7000 would make more sense, as in five years, you would be seeing the last of the processor for that socket and you could potentially upgrade to that.

I would go with the 13600K if you want to keep it long term. Short term, get the Ryzen 5600X and save the money and then use it to upgrade in 3 years instead of 5.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
The Core i5-13600K trashes the Ryzen 5600X haughtily; so if you're willing to spend the money the former CPU would definitely last about 3 years more. So say, the i5-13600K should be pretty good for another 5 to 6 years from now and if you're aiming for extreme performance - 3.5 years at the least. Divide those years in two and you'll get the longevity of the 5600X in the fast lane.

Having said that, get whichever CPU you personally like better. If it's the 5600X you've attained a penchant to, then it's the thing for you; if it's an Intel - then that's what you should be getting. Performance is one thing and personal inclination - another. Always listen to your inner gut and get what you'd feel best with (keeping in mind performance, but not only). (y)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Or don't listen to me, since I have made the "wrong" CPU and GPU choice pretty much since 2010. I am just stuck in a weird cycle where the options to upgrade aren't great, but I don't want to wait any longer. Then the following generation has something amazing in it.

I bought an i7-950 right before Sandy Bridge launched. Fine at the time, but it made me skip Sandy and Ivy and buy Haswell instead, then shocker, Haswell got a refresh that was much better clocks/overclocking, and the 5th gen chips only worked in the new boards. Which led me directly to a 7700k quad core, next generation, six cores. (Though there was a bios hack to get 8th and 9th gen to work in Z170 and Z270 boards, never did try it) 10900F wasn't a bad purchase, but I could have waited for Alderlake all things considered.

Bought a GTX980, next generation, first process node shrink in like three generations. Doubled the performance and made all of Maxwell obsolete overnight. Bought a GTX 1080 Pascal anyway. Bought a 3080Ti at $1400, when if I had waited I could have gotten the 3080 12GB for like $750 or blown it on a 4090.

Not like I had low performance or anything, just could have always had more performance for the same amount of money.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Or don't listen to me, since I have made the "wrong" CPU and GPU choice pretty much since 2010. I am just stuck in a weird cycle where the options to upgrade aren't great, but I don't want to wait any longer. Then the following generation has something amazing in it.

I bought an i7-950 right before Sandy Bridge launched. Fine at the time, but it made me skip Sandy and Ivy and buy Haswell instead, then shocker, Haswell got a refresh that was much better clocks/overclocking, and the 5th gen chips only worked in the new boards. Which led me directly to a 7700k quad core, next generation, six cores. (Though there was a bios hack to get 8th and 9th gen to work in Z170 and Z270 boards, never did try it) 10900F wasn't a bad purchase, but I could have waited for Alderlake all things considered.

Bought a GTX980, next generation, first process node shrink in like three generations. Doubled the performance and made all of Maxwell obsolete overnight. Bought a GTX 1080 Pascal anyway. Bought a 3080Ti at $1400, when if I had waited I could have gotten the 3080 12GB for like $750 or blown it on a 4090.

Not like I had low performance or anything, just could have always had more performance for the same amount of money.
You're very right in what you say. Then-again, you might have bought those better parts and yet have had an assortment of ignominious issues such as electric surges, factory defects, subtle but hampering incompatibilities and the list goes on almost indefinitely.

So we should always be happy when we've a fully functional and working system. We may never know, sometimes getting a part the worse for price/performance might have saved us from innumerable uncalled for problems; we may think we may have chosen a deal not commensurate to the best specifications denoting money spent and performance gained, but that may have been what had saved us from some trouble. It's invariably a flip of the dice.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly. But my hobby is building computers, so when I get the itch, things happen.

Bought an Intel A380 the other day, quite the experience of bugs. Reminds me of my youth. And my castoffs don't go to waste. My nephew is enjoying my 7700k and GTX980 for Robloxs and TABS.

I still use my 4770k as an HTPC (now with the aforementioned A380). Actually it has received a lot of attention. New PSU, New SDD, New hard drive, new CPU fan, new Wifi card, I think this is GPU number 4? (Opposite to logic, I downsize the GPU as new ones come out. A380 is the first GPU power increase this system has seen)

Aside from one dead SSD last year and a buggy WiFi module a few years back, haven't had a hardware failure since 2002 or so? Probably because I replace things too quickly.

i7-950 motherboard did eventually die, but after it had gone through a second owner and saw heavy use for like 7 years straight. Replaced it with a modified Dell that I got for way less then it was worth. I think they put the price of the i5 on the i7, I bought it instantly.

Only CPU I am not sure what I will do with is my 10900F. Doesn't really have a suitable job that a newer chip couldn't do a better job of and be more efficient. 13400 with the 32GB DDR4 from it might become my new HTPC at some point. (Been considering picking up a Z690 or B660 board for the purpose while the prices are still relatively okay) Might just end up selling it to someone with i3-10100 or something.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Certainly. But my hobby is building computers, so when I get the itch, things happen.

Bought an Intel A380 the other day, quite the experience of bugs. Reminds me of my youth. And my castoffs don't go to waste. My nephew is enjoying my 7700k and GTX980 for Robloxs and TABS.

I still use my 4770k as an HTPC (now with the aforementioned A380). Actually it has received a lot of attention. New PSU, New SDD, New hard drive, new CPU fan, new Wifi card, I think this is GPU number 4? (Opposite to logic, I downsize the GPU as new ones come out. A380 is the first GPU power increase this system has seen)

Aside from one dead SSD last year and a buggy WiFi module a few years back, haven't had a hardware failure since 2002 or so? Probably because I replace things too quickly.

i7-950 motherboard did eventually die, but after it had gone through a second owner and saw heavy use for like 7 years straight. Replaced it with a modified Dell that I got for way less then it was worth. I think they put the price of the i5 on the i7, I bought it instantly.

Only CPU I am not sure what I will do with is my 10900F. Doesn't really have a suitable job that a newer chip couldn't do a better job of and be more efficient. 13400 with the 32GB DDR4 from it might become my new HTPC at some point. (Been considering picking up a Z690 or B660 board for the purpose while the prices are still relatively okay) Might just end up selling it to someone with i3-10100 or something.
That's a great hobby you've got there!

Have you any machines; for example, Pentium IIs and older? It would really be cool to have a 386 or 486 machine and test DOS and Win3.11 and Win95. Those computers seem to be harder and harder to find nowadays, perhaps because they're currently very old and broken or on the verge of breaking and perhaps because there aren't many such systems still present out there.

Thanks for writing up! :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That's a great hobby you've got there!

Have you any machines; for example, Pentium IIs and older? It would really be cool to have a 386 or 486 machine and test DOS and Win3.11 and Win95. Those computers seem to be harder and harder to find nowadays, perhaps because they're currently very old and broken or on the verge of breaking and perhaps because there aren't many such systems still present out there.

Thanks for writing up! :)

I do indeed have a vintage collection.

TI-994A, memory expansion, color monitor, voice synthesizer, cradle modem, game cartridge/joysticks. It was the floor model from Sears I believe, sold after they had stopped carrying the line.

I think the IBM 8086 is no longer functional. Needs a new battery and probably a re-capping. It had issues with Y2K as well.

Macintosh Performa HD is a computer I picked up at a school. They were tossing it out. Fully functional.

Regretting not keeping my original 486 with Pentium overdrive. I still have the processor, but not the computer. And I haven't a clue where my AMD K6 went, might still be at my parents house.

I have a dual Pentium Compaq server/tower. Its disk controller alone has its own AMD 486. 11 SCSI drives (one external cabinet for six drives) Used to be the file print server at a local company. It has a linux instance on it, but is pretty much useless for anything. It's total storage is something like 20GB, which was a lot back when it was operational.

Only active one I sometimes use is a Dual Pentium II (slot), with a Voodoo 5 5500 (PCI), SoundBlaster Awe32 with midi board. 512MB of ECC memory installed, but only 256MB registers (my efforts to update the BIOS always fail for some reason, scraped Dell's FTP server to find the support materials). Has massive dual 800W PSUs and a pair of 10GB SCSI drives, all hot swappable. An old Dell Poweredge 4200 (not to be confused with the more modern one with the same name) I originally only wanted the chassis, but it turned out the whole thing worked and I couldn't bring myself to take it apart. So I replaced the single CPU with the fastest compatible P2s I could find, added the memory and dropped in the video and sound. I have it running Windows 2000 and it plays a mean round of classic UT. I really need to convert it over to a modern PSU and swap the case fans for something a little more reasonable. I'd always planned to put a sleeper build in it, but it is such an eclectic pile of old parts, I can't being myself to do it.

I sold my Athlon XP 1800 core parts to pay for a new GPU as I recall, and I think a similar thing happened with my old Duron 450 or 650, that was an odd one. It was a complete spare system that I put together from parts. Started out as a 1Ghz T-bird, but that system never worked right and was parted out. Swapped the 1Ghz chip for the Duron and some other parts and built a working system that acted as a local server at lan parties. I think I donated my old Athlon XP 2800 to charity as it was my last IDE based system. My old Celeron 466 I eventually upgraded to a PIII 800Mhz, lost to family members if I recall. I still have the slocket adapted Celeron as a desk ornament. Still have my Athlon X2 6000 system, but it is basically just a slow modern computer. 6GB of ram though, with an old GTX285.

I also have an old, and I mean old, digital camera that I got from a university. Really need to get the lens appraised, it looks fancy. But it was a studio grade camera that comes with its own external hard drives for storage. Never been able to track down the model, what it is intended to hook up to, etc. Every few years I go searching vintage camera forums, but nothing ever comes up. Seems it is just too obscure, but no one at the department knew how it worked either. It had been sitting in a closet for years.