[SOLVED] buying used rx 480 or rx 580 for a 2nd build which one should i get

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Trying to decide between the two. I can currently get one on ebay for about $79 for the rx 480 and only $10 more for the rx 580. The ones that I looked at all are from the same manufacture and have the same cooler.

I got a ryzen 2200 system off of CL without a gpu, so im just looking to get a video card atm.

Solution
RX 480 and 580 are basically the same card. The 580 is a year newer and is clocked a bit higher. Other than that, same card, same hardware. Get the 580. Just watch seller's feedback rating.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't purchase either. RX 480/580 was one of the most popular gpus during the mining craze.
It's no longer profitable for people who jumped on the mining bandwagon too late, so there's an abundance of those gpus in the 2nd hand market from former miners trying to recoup their losses.

Beware.

Do you even have a decent enough power supply to run one? They're not exactly light on power compared to their Nvidia counterparts, the GTX 1650 Super and GTX 1660.

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
I really dont care to hear about the whole mining thing, or not to buy used parts. I've done it before without any issues even with mining cards. So I'm not gonna bother reading that, I'll select the person that actually gave me a direct answer though

Make sure you do have a decent power supply. Otherwise the smarter play is 1650 super or 1660.

Personally I bought an rx 580, but I knew a lot of them were former mining cards and that it's possible they'd been run hard. I paid just over 100 dollars.

If you can get a deal like that, go for it. But be very sure that you purchase through a site such as eBay where there's some kind of buyer protection, and that you very carefully read and watch the seller's feedback rating. As well as read the description carefully so that you know exactly what you are buying. If you do that you may get a good deal. If you are a newbie or aren't comfortable with a little risk, then you need to purchase a new card.

But what type of power supply are you using? You've not answered that. If you get one of these cards which can be power hungry, if you don't have a decent power supply, you could take out your card and or your entire PC.