Buying versus built my own

frombo

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I am in the market for a new pc, and i am pondering building it myself. I should note that i haven't done it before, and that while i -think- i'm pretty good at troubleshooting, i have absolutely no hardware knowledge. half of the reason for building my own would be that it would be fun.

my price range is $1,000 +/- a little bit. i use it for heavy photoshopping and illustrator, autoCAD and 3d modelling (rhino and 3dsmax).

my main question is: i found what seems to be a pretty good deal at velocity micro through another online review, and i would like to know if it would be better just to buy from them rather than build my own (minus that it would be interesting). i'm not a pro and i like the idea of tech support, and from what i hear their company is pretty good.

their specs are

Velocity micro edge z-5:
intel core 2 quad Q9400 @ 2.93Ghz
550 watt psu
nvidia nforce 630i based chipset
4mb corsair xms2 ddr2-800 RAM
512 MB Radeon 4850 GDDR3
500GB hitachi 7200rpm 16MB cache sata 300
vista 64bit
20x lite-on dvd/rw
keyboard, mouse, wireless card, t-shirt -

$969 - monitor not included

if i were to build, i'd probably start around those marks anyways. what extra could i get?

and a last question, how worth it really is it to get a multi-year warranty? i know many people here build their own, but is it really worth it to go for a multi-year warranty for a bought computer or is that rarely (if ever) going to work out in my favor?

frombo

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
sorry for what might be a silly question, but what is cuda and how will it be helpful in the future?

also, i'm trying to shave money where possible, but being easy to upgrade in the future is a big concern to me, as i suppose for everyone. switching back to an intel core 2 quad-core would definately save some cash, but in the long run would it just set me back later?

yoyojam - thanks for the build advice. i think i am definately on the build path.