[SOLVED] Buying Video Card

Apr 9, 2020
Hello, Everyone! Now straight to the question...I want to buy myself a video card but i doubt my PSU can handle a decent one. I got NEOTech 400W PSU and right now im using only integrated graphics in my Proccesor which is Intel Celeron G1620. I don' t know how much information i should, put here now, so if you have any questions about my PC, feel free to ask. Pardon my English it isn't my native language. Cheers!

Solution
A bottleneck won't hurt anything. Get the best GPU you can afford first, then upgrade your CPU. You just won't make full use of the GPU for awhile. Easy upgrade would be to replace your current CPU with a used compatible i7 or Xeon E3 1230, or better. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-VG3/#CPU

Better option would be upgrade the MB, CPU, and ram, but I understand money can be tight. An upgrade, to one of the compatible CPU's, that I mentioned, would pair up fine, with an RX 570.
Apr 9, 2020
I wouldn't trust that PSU with what you have now, much less with a real graphics card. What kind of budget do you have? Your CPU is pretty weak.
Hey, thank you for your fast reply. I want to make sure i have everything set before making a budget. Do i need to change my CPU or PSU? if i buy a graphics card now without changing anything will it affect something in the near future? Im using this PSU for like 4-5 years and i had no issues at all with it. I don't really want a high end video card for now. I aim for 2GB i don't need much more. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me i'll stay close and reply as fast as i can. Thank you!

Apr 9, 2020
You are just lucky it hasn't died, and taken your system with it. Before you do anything, get a better quality PSU, like a corsair grey label CX/CXM, at a minimum. What are your reasons for getting the GPU? I am going to assume gaming?
Yeah, gaming, but don't get me wrong i haven't pushed it much. I need a new GPU, because the integrated graphics on my current proccesor is horrible...256mb vram and this is embarassing, yeah. I am not playing the newest games....I was playing F1 2013, League of Legends, CS:GO etc. Maybe even 1GB Vram video card, would do the work? Also i did a little research and i found a DeepCool PSU. What do you think, about the brand? I dont have much budget and as it seems i need to do alot of upgrades, before i buy a GPU...Okay lets say i want to risk it and buy a GPU what would u recommend me? Even if it is 1GB Vram i think i would go for it. Thanks for your time reading and answering today, mate!

logainofhades

Titan
Do not risk it, period. I cannot stress it enough that your PSU can, and will, die, and take your hardware with it. I have had it happen myself. I was just lucky that the system was just a bunch of cheap/used parts that I had slapped together for a makeshift HTPC. Deepcool makes great budget CPU coolers, but their power supplies are junk. I would probably try to pick up a used RX 470/570, after getting a good PSU. Your CPU can wait, for now, but that PSU has to go.

Apr 9, 2020
Do not risk it, period. I cannot stress it enough that your PSU can, and will, die, and take your hardware with it. I have had it happen myself. I was just lucky that the system was just a bunch of cheap/used parts that I had slapped together for a makeshift HTPC. Deepcool makes great budget CPU coolers, but their power supplies are junk. I would probably try to pick up a used RX 470/570, after getting a good PSU. Your CPU can wait, for now, but that PSU has to go.
Alright, so lets say i already, bought a new PSU and im ready to go...Wont The RX 570 bottleneck it hard with the CPU? Maybe ill need to replace the CPU before it...I have a quite old MB i would say. If you are interested it is a ASRock H61M-VG3. I dont think i would have the budget to replace MB PSU and GPU that fast. What would u recommend me? After changing the PSU. Because you definitly changed my priority to the PSU. Thanks in advance, once again!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Don't worry about it "bottlenecking hard" - unfortunately, bottleneck is a term that has been misused to the point where it's become meaningless.

There is NO WAY that, if you buy a more powerful video card, and leave everything else the same, that you would ever wind up with LESS performance than you had before.

Yes, once you get the better video card, the limitations of the CPU will become more obvious - but you will still see improvement, and you will be able to turn detail up higher than you could before.

logainofhades

Titan
A bottleneck won't hurt anything. Get the best GPU you can afford first, then upgrade your CPU. You just won't make full use of the GPU for awhile. Easy upgrade would be to replace your current CPU with a used compatible i7 or Xeon E3 1230, or better. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M-VG3/#CPU

Better option would be upgrade the MB, CPU, and ram, but I understand money can be tight. An upgrade, to one of the compatible CPU's, that I mentioned, would pair up fine, with an RX 570.

Solution
Apr 9, 2020
Ok got it! First of all i need to change my PSU as fast as possible... I found one and it is: be quiet! Pure Power 11 but i have no idea which version of it i should pick...I ran a calculator with, probably my future PC and it showed that 300W is fine, while running loading it to 66%. I researched a bit and i came to the conclusion that the best performance you can get from the PSU is at 50-80% load. Keep at mind that after upgrading my CPU and getting a GPU i wont overclock them at all. After this i will buy a completly new pc and i wont use those so please if you are thinking about future upgrades...there wont be any. Thank you very much! I know i make mistakes in typing, but im giving it my best :) And if this PSU isnt good please recommend me something that would do the job.