buying windows 8.1 pro student

the day b4 2moro

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
my main question is, will this work for a clean install?
i just built a computer and want to install windows 8.1 on it. i found this one for £50 (because of student discount) and just want to know if i can use a clean install on it. i don't see why not however on the website it says; 'windows 8.1 full version is for windows 7 users only' does this mean i need windows 7 to get windows 8.1?
here is the website;
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288533400

i hope i have made this clear enough, but basically can i get it for a new system with no previous os?
thanks

also is there a difference between 8.1 pro pack and 8.1 pro n pack?

Solution

Hey I am also looking for an answer to this question did you find out?

Looking at the page here

When you scroll down you get this it says this

Windows 8.1 Pro is not designed for installation on devices running Windows XP or Windows Vista.

If you’re running Windows 8 Pro, visit the Windows Store for a free update to Windows 8.1 Pro. If you’re running Windows 7, your files will easily transfer. If you’re running Windows Vista or earlier, qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro by purchasing Windows 8 Pro now.

Before installing, see windows.com/install for important information....

the day b4 2moro

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Ok, so I can only use it if I already have windows 7?
However on their website they don't have any that suggest U can install them onto a new system... They all seem to be like that and surely they would have one for a new system?

Jay19

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

Hey I am also looking for an answer to this question did you find out?

Looking at the page here

When you scroll down you get this it says this

Windows 8.1 Pro is not designed for installation on devices running Windows XP or Windows Vista.

If you’re running Windows 8 Pro, visit the Windows Store for a free update to Windows 8.1 Pro. If you’re running Windows 7, your files will easily transfer. If you’re running Windows Vista or earlier, qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro by purchasing Windows 8 Pro now.

Before installing, see windows.com/install for important information. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. To check compatibility, visit your PC manufacturer’s website and run Upgrade Assistant at windows.com/upgrade.

After purchase, you will be prompted to run the Windows 8 setup, which walks you through the steps to download and install. Learn more about privacy and the Upgrade Assistant.

If your PC is running Windows 8 Pro and you'd like to watch and record TV with Windows Media Center, you can get Windows 8 Media Center Pack. To buy Windows 8 Media Center Pack, follow these instructions.

*Limits: This academic offer for eligible students, faculty and staff requires verification of eligibility prior to purchase. Limit five (5) copies of this item per 12-month period. This offer is only made available to eligible students, faculty and staff under the Programme Terms and Conditions.

When you click the link in the bit in bold it takes you here

At the top of that page it says:

To upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP, you'll need to install it from a Windows 8.1 DVD and perform a clean installation. This means you won't be able to keep any files, settings or programs when you upgrade.

Windows 8.1 isn't designed for installation on PCs running Windows Vista or Windows XP, so we strongly recommend you do the following before buying the Windows 8.1 DVD.

Which to me seems to imply that you can do a clean install with this version however I am not sure.

UPDATE:

Ok it seems like you should be able to do clean install with this version. Apparently the only reason they say you must have Windows 7 is because if you have any earlier versions you cant keep your files and must do a clean install as opposed to upgrade. see here

Solution