Buzzing and lag when playing video/audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
For a while now (It took me a while to actually start to trouble shoot) my HTPC that I built in March of 2011 has been making buzzing/shuddering noises along with video lag.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

I have a video, read the description for specs. and things I have already tired. I think its probably a bad PCI-e lane or some mobo problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9Pvdsz0UM

Solution
had something similar with wireless card on forum a few weeks ago put back wireless card to the bottom slot on motherboard and turn antenna sideways so the wont send signal to the audio output also if you can chance the audio cable for shielded one
I once had a system that did that at random, of all things, the sata controller + a bad firmware was to blame.

Does the cpu usage change when this happens? Just open the task manager to see.

My Media Center has the same sound card(I assume the onboard alc 892), and it has been fine for years.

It is also worth ensuring ALL drivers are the latest grab those from asus and the video card driver from AMD/Nvidia or intel(depending on card) .

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I would like to mention that the buzzing sound comes from the speakers. Also I took apart one of my other computers, removing the mobo etc, but leaving the PSU and fans etc.... And took the mobo, CPU, ram, and HDD from the "buzzing pc" and put it in that case of the perfectly fine pc, in a whole different part of the house and it still has the same issue.

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

I actually think I did notice that when i watched some shows via my USB tv tuner it did not studded or buzz.

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Also the audio/Video is connected to the HDTV via HDMI through an ati hd 5670 this is why I suspect a bad pci-e lane. Maybe I should also try a bios update. I will also try a clean install of windows and see if it makes a difference. I will again do a visual inspection of capacitors and such.

Disable it in the bios and make sure you have your latest ati drivers as well.

That sound is normally a conflict or other software issue. Back in the old days it also told you it was time for a faster computer :) P133 did that from time to time. Funny thing is other systems did it worse(Thank you SoundBlaster 16! you let that computer do awesome things).

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Lol thanks, I will try that and let you know how it goes. Also a question I have is when you build a new 'puter what drivers should you let windows install automatically vs. downloading from the mobo website? I always download gfx card drivers, sata drivers, USB 3 and audio drivers.

I get it all off the website(Asus,gigabyte)

My audio drivers are actually from Realtek for my media center as new ones disable jack re-tasking on most plugs.

For my gaming system drivers from Creative as what is on the CD is obsolete already.

I used to get LAN drivers of the CD/DVD if needed(but thats not common as windows has most basic lan drivers)

That last thing, i generally get my chipset drivers from Intel or AMD's(and back in the day via....ewwww) site as they are newer.

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
On this board there is a PCI-E x16 slot, two PCI slots (old school slots) , and another PCI-E x16 (runnig at x4). I have my HD 5670 in the first slot running at x16, and in the other PCI-E I had my Asus wireless N card. I took the wireless car out and powered up and played some music in itunes, some video in windows media player, and a PC game. After about 15 minutes of testing with the media, there was NO BUZZING. Maybe I need a BIOS update?

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131711

PCI-E Wireless Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Wireless+Adapters-_-ASUS-_-33320074

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
had something similar with wireless card on forum a few weeks ago put back wireless card to the bottom slot on motherboard and turn antenna sideways so the wont send signal to the audio output also if you can chance the audio cable for shielded one

Solution

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

That seems to be what the problem was. I put the wireless card back in and it started to buz randomly again. I disabled the card in adapter settings, and BOOM no more buzzing! :lol: the only problem with putting the card at the bottom pci port is that it's a micro ATX board, and it already is on the bottom slot. I guess I'll have to pick up another netgear power line adapter or just wire my house with eathernet. Or just look into a shielded HDMI cable.

Thanks sooo much for all the help and input. I even called for an RMA number before I posted this thread, but for some reason I never received the email with the RMA info. Well I guess everything happens for a reason.

Thanks again!

Matt

matt_mu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

Will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.