[SOLVED] Buzzing coming from Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

Feb 7, 2020
Hi guys, as title says my mobo is making a buzzing sound. I tested it outside the case with no fans, GPU or anything else attached, just CPU, RAM and letting it just boot to bios, the PSU is kept at a distance and I also tested another PSU so I ruled that out.

It seems to be coming from the CPU area and is louder if I put my ear to the backplate. If I turn off C-state the sound turns into a much worse and more audible high pitched noise.

I have two of the same mobo and the second mobo was slightly worse, I got them from different stores.

Is this common on this mobo? I've not had mobo noise before. The CPU I was using is a 3900X.

Thank you for any help.

Solution
Well C state is a power saving mode, so it would make sense that disabling it would cause more coil whine. If it isn't audible over the rest of the PC, then I'd say ignore it. It doesn't really hurt anything. If it is, then return it.
Feb 7, 2020
Sounds like coil whine. Is it noticeable from outside the case?

You said you tested with no fans. Did you boot without a cooler installed to check? That could possibly damage or destroy the CPU.

Yeah I can hear it outside the case, sitting on its cardboard box. I never run CPU without cooler, I had a U14S installed, just without the fan running.