Buzzing noise from Asus Gtx 980 Strix after I have been playing games.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi.
I have noticed a electrical buzzing noise coming from what I think is my Asus Strix 980 as the noise has only become apparent since installing it.

It always happens after I have been playing games and when the card is cooled down to 0% fan .

It only usually lasts 2-3 seconds. It almost sounds like a buzzing noise ( wasp noise bzzzzzzzz ).
And it's never under load. It just buzzing noise after card its been used heavily. ( idle - windows )

Any ideas what it is? Anybody experienced something like this?
I dont know if it is normal. Buzzing in 3d i understand. But i have buzzing after heavy load ( games )right after on windows.

Solution
During games you actually put stress on the card, that's why you often hear coil whine when your card is under load, but let's say for example you are not playing a demanding gpu game such as Minecraft, then you get like 1000 fps while you only need like 60-240 for an enjoyable, so your card works hard to achieve that amazing 1000 fps when you don't even need it to, that's why sometimes you can discover coil whine while doing simple things like browsing the web or watching YouTube, you can use software to cap your card on like 250 fps, as for when it reaches that mark, it won't work zany harder to get more fps, meaning, less unnecessary coil whine

ThatAfricanDude

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
That my friend, is known as coil whine, a very annoying defect on electrical hardware, I suggest if your card is still under warranty, RMA it, there are online ways that might be able to fix it, but chances are slim, but first option would be to RMA it if you can

ThatAfricanDude

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
During games you actually put stress on the card, that's why you often hear coil whine when your card is under load, but let's say for example you are not playing a demanding gpu game such as Minecraft, then you get like 1000 fps while you only need like 60-240 for an enjoyable, so your card works hard to achieve that amazing 1000 fps when you don't even need it to, that's why sometimes you can discover coil whine while doing simple things like browsing the web or watching YouTube, you can use software to cap your card on like 250 fps, as for when it reaches that mark, it won't work zany harder to get more fps, meaning, less unnecessary coil whine

Solution