buzzing noise from computer when i turn it on

riguy99

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
just now i was turning on my computer i heard a buzzing noise. i immediately turned it off. then i tried again and i did not hear it anymore. i took a look inside and i noticed a 4 pin power connector was touching the computer case right next to the psu. then i tried turning it on and off a few times and the buzz never came back. would the 4 pin power connector be the cause of this? if not should i be worried?

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
That's the first thing I would look at, if I heard buzzing, was to be sure none of the cables are catching fan fins while they're spinning. I guess I would have to hear the buzz to be more certain as there are a variety of buzzes. Motherboards buzz sometimes, hard drives...

riguy99

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

do you think i should be concerned though? i mean i haven't heard the buzz after that occasion.

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I would open the case up and make sure no wires are close to your fans. That can certainly cause major issues if, say, you ran downstairs while it happened again, and your CPU fan wasn't spinning because it was caught on a wire. Definitely wouldn't just overlook it because it stopped happening. If there's no wires in the way, then I would stop worrying.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Yep, i'd get some ties or something to clean up the wires if they might be touching something. I wouldn't worry too much tho if it does happen again see if you can record the noise keep a tape recorder or something handy that you can upload somewhere so that way your problem can be diagnosed better. It might also be possible that one of your fans might be seizing up. Check to see if your fans are rotating if the buzzing noise occurs again. Also if you got your PC hooked up to a surge protector, keep it handy in case something really is wrong like the PSU sparking you can just hit the switch to cut the power off, buzzing noises could be fans, a hard drive or it could be the PSU. If you don't got a surge protector i'd get one, that's the only worry i would have there. If your desktop though is sluggish or sometimes freezing up or if you have usb malfunctions then i would check out the PSU to make sure it's not going bad.

UltraMadBoomer

Honorable
May 3, 2015
I had exactly this, and, for some reason, it would turn off after I logged into my desktop. It only happens rarely, but it happened today. I also installed a new CPU cooler, so, I wonder if that should be the problem?