Buzzing noise from new build

Nov 19, 2018
I just finished building my first computer and noticed a buzzing noise under different circumstances. It seems to mostly come from the PSU when the video card is under load. I also detected some degree of buzzing from the motherboard and the PWM fan hub. My question is whether this is a cause for concern and if there is a way to mitigate the noise. I provide more details below.

My build's specs are:

• - InWin A1 ITX case with integrated PSU of 600W 80 Plus Bronze. I read from several sources (after completing the build) that the PSU is not good.
    - i7 8700k processor at stock speeds.
    - AsRock Phantom Gaming ITX Z390 motherboard.
    - EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black.
    - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU cooler.
    - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 32 GB (3200 Hz).
    - Samsung 970 Evo NVME SSD 1 TB.
    - 4 Fractal Design Venturi HP 12 fans.
    - SilverStone CPF04 PWM fan hub.
    - AW3418DW 3440x1440 monitor at 100 Hz.

PSU noise
Most noticeable when running Furmark's stress test at 3440x1440 (60 fps) and sometimes when playing Metro 2033. I haven't tried other games. The noise sounds like electric interference. Here are two samples, air exhausted from the PSU masks the noise in the recordings, but you can still hear it if you increase the volume. I can also hear a similar noise from the fan hub, but less loud. For Metro 2033, the noise is on or subdues depending on what is displayed on the screen. There is one room at the beginning of the game, for example, where the buzz is loud, and if you aim to the ceiling, the noise subdues, but the frame rate stays the same (91 FPS with G-Sync, V-Sync, and EVGA's XOC Precision FPS limiter enabled).

With respect to the PSU, it is important to mention that I did a separate test in which I ran Prime95 (Small FFTs and SSE enabled) and Furmark at the same time, and the computer shut down after around 10 minutes. When this happened the CPU temperature was 80 C and the GPU was 67 C, so maybe the PSU overheated and shut itself (?).

Motherboard noise
Not as noticeable as the PSU noise. It happens in IDLE sometimes when moving the cursor across the screen or in Youtube videos. It is a slight buzzing noise reminiscent of a dot matrix printer. I could not hear it when Prime95, Furmark, or Metro ran. This noise was a little more notorious before I disabled "Enhanced Halt Mode (C1E)" in the motherboard's bios. I also tried disabling Intel's SpeedStep, but it didn't make a difference and was preventing the CPU to turbo boost.

Once the side panels of the case are placed, and the computer's speakers are on, the noise is not very perceptible. But I still would like to know if there is something I could do to remove it, or if I am facing a more serious problem. I would prefer not to replace components since it was very difficult for me to assemble the machine in such a tight space.

I'd appreciate any help provided.

Raerayu

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
Never heard of this before, if your temps and voltages are fine and you're sure everything is connected properly and that all your hardware is pinned down securely, then there's probably nothing wrong. If the hardware is new I would get a replacement for free though.

Your PSU probs has a loose fan, try to get the dust out of it.

There is something wrong. The computer shuts down on it's own and there's no dust in his power supply because he just built it.

Raerayu

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015

Swap Ram sticks into different slots? You probably gotta get new stuff then friend, didn't read your pc was shutting down.

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks for the replies.

The PC shut down when I was doing a test with an extreme load (Prime95 + Furmark). Under normal conditions, the computer has not shut down, but the noises are present as described in the original post.

I do think the main problem is the PSU, although I do not understand the motherboard noises.

I should also mention that I was unable to make the 24-pin connector click when assembling the computer. I did apply significant force but the clip did not wrap around the connector's tab. However, I did not see a meaningful gap between the connectors. Would this be a problem?

Nov 19, 2018

I actually tried to reconnect during the assembly process but was unable to disconnect the 24-pin power cable. It's unreachable by hand (and the motherboard cannot be taken out without disconnecting it first). I tried with a plastic pry tool, but the tool broke. Do you know of another tool/method I could try to disconnect it? Here are some photos to give some context.

Also, given the photos above, do you think the connector is not making good contact? I applied as much force as I could through long pliers when plugging in the connector. I had the feeling that more force would have damaged the motherboard.