Buzzing noise in headset on new laptop.

AmissusXX

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I just got a laptop a few days ago and have just used my headset for the first time. There is white noise as I increase the volume on my headset, but it is not as a result of the overall volume. To simplify, If I have my speakers and volume bar both at 100% on my laptop, but as low as possible on my actual headset knob (or whatever you call the thing on the actual headset wire) I will have very minimal white noise which is bearable but listening to videos is annoying because even if they are sett to 100, they are very soft; if I have my laptop sound settings and volume at 1/100 or 5/100, and I have my headset knob all the way up, the white noise will be unbearable, even though the volume is not even audible because of the low settings. I also just uninstalled Realtek HD audio drivers because those were awful no matter what. before removing them, the volume was audible but the white noise made it the equivalent to listening to music on your iphone while mowing the lawn. So I know it would be loud enough if I reinstalled the Realtek HD Audio Drivers, but because that would give me a headache after 5 minutes, I was wondering if there was any alternatives. The only input/outputs I have enabled are the headset mic and headsset speaker, the laptop integrated ones are disabled.

Solution
The buzzing is usually a source of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) caused by the close proximity of the WiFi card on a laptop, this can also be bad because the sound processor is very close to other components, or the fact that the laptop power supply is plugged in, causing electromagnetic interference (EMI).

Try using the laptop on the battery and see if it reduces the hissing. Have you tried a different headset or pair of headphones to see if it is still there?

Another idea would be to check into buying a USB sound card. This would maybe separate the sound source from the interference.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-USB-Sound-Card-7/dp/B004FE6UCE

Neur0nauT

Admirable
The buzzing is usually a source of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) caused by the close proximity of the WiFi card on a laptop, this can also be bad because the sound processor is very close to other components, or the fact that the laptop power supply is plugged in, causing electromagnetic interference (EMI).

Try using the laptop on the battery and see if it reduces the hissing. Have you tried a different headset or pair of headphones to see if it is still there?

Another idea would be to check into buying a USB sound card. This would maybe separate the sound source from the interference.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamode-USB-Sound-Card-7/dp/B004FE6UCE

Solution