[SOLVED] Buzzing noise on my PSU

Hanleyjaa

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
for about a month now i hear this buzzing coming from my PSU, heres a video, you also need to turn up your volume, on video its quiet its the low buzzing noise:
View: https://youtu.be/u-A4iNA4oGY

Also, its a lot louder In Real Life than in the video. And i was wondering if this is normal or should i replace my PSU?

Solution
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $36.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-28 00:32 EDT-0400

Or, if you want a MUCH better unit, that will also allow you to upgrade to a higher tiered graphics card at some point without again replacing the PSU, this would be an even better option.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $63.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available...
I don't hear anything unusual in that sound clip. I only hear what sounds like normal fan operational noise and you bumping the mic or dropping something near it. I don't hear anything weird. Might try another recording.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

Hanleyjaa

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
How old is it?

What color is the label? There are different versions of the CX series units and they have different colored labels. One is not too bad, the other is older, and is complete garbage.
It's probably 2 years old, and it has a black label. I'll attach a picture, haven't cleaned PC in a while so there's a lot of dust.
image:
View: https://imgur.com/a/auskFHb

Also lost 2 of pci brackets / placeholders witch doesn't help my dust situation lol

Last edited:
I would remove the filter under the PSU, if it has one, and clean that, and also blow out the power supply with compressed air.

That PSU model isn't very good, and at 2 years old, it's probably near end of life. I'd consider replacing it with a better model.

What are you full hardware specifications for the rest of the hardware?

Hanleyjaa

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
I would remove the filter under the PSU, if it has one, and clean that, and also blow out the power supply with compressed air.

That PSU model isn't very good, and at 2 years old, it's probably near end of life. I'd consider replacing it with a better model.

What are you full hardware specifications for the rest of the hardware?
I have a Intel i5-4430 @ 3GHZ
16GB of ram
and a 750TI

Also do you have a recommendation for a better PSU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair CXM 450w or 550w, whichever is cheaper. It'll have a black/silver label, No Green! That's an old design you have currently, it might be 2years old for you, but it's seriously ancient in manufacture. It was an old design when your cpu was brand new.

Average lifespan for those old CX was @ 18months.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $36.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-28 00:32 EDT-0400

Or, if you want a MUCH better unit, that will also allow you to upgrade to a higher tiered graphics card at some point without again replacing the PSU, this would be an even better option.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $63.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-28 00:33 EDT-0400

Solution