Question Buzzing sound during shutdown

Josita

Honorable
Mar 5, 2016
Just built my PC a few days ago and whenever I shut down my desktop, the power socket (not PSU) will buzz with electrical noises (somewhat soft) until the PC completely shuts down. It doesn't happen during a boot or restart, only during a full shutdown.

What is causing this issue and should I be concerned?

Last edited:
Just got my PC a few days ago and whenever I shut down my desktop, the power socket (not PSU) will buzz with electrical noises (somewhat soft) until the PC completely shuts down. It doesn't happen during a boot or restart, only during a full shutdown.

What is causing this issue and should I be concerned?

How are you doing a "full shut down"? I know that sounds like a silly question, but I've found some people define shutting down differently than others.

Do you mean you're just shutting down from Windows and it makes this noise or are flipping the switch on the back of the PSU or something?

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Yes, I tried re-seating the power cable but the buzzing sound comes from the wall sockets. I also tried different wall sockets but the same issue still occurs.

Sound: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Tqm8BIZ2Ti4r6KwxqMFEQtpKB73j9Jr/view?usp=drivesdk
That is a classic arcing sound. Just to clarify are you hearing this sound at the back of the power supply where the power cable is hooked up? Or is the sound coming from the wall outlets/Power brick? If it is coming from the other end, the end that plugs into the socket at the wall then if you have the computer cable connected to a power brick, try to connect it directly into the wall instead and see if that makes a difference. If you have a surge protector then remove that as well so that the power cable only goes directly into the wall outlet. If that stops the sound then you have a bad surge protector or a bad power brick that needs to be replaced. If the sound is actually coming from the back of the computer then the power cable might be bad and needs re placing. Check the inside of the 3 holes in the power supply cable (the end that goes in to the power supply) with a flash light. If you se any darkened areas on the connectors that is sot and is an indication of internal arcing (flash) and means the power cable is bad and needs replacing.

Josita

Honorable
Mar 5, 2016
How are you doing a "full shut down"? I know that sounds like a silly question, but I've found some people define shutting down differently than others.

Do you mean you're just shutting down from Windows and it makes this noise or are flipping the switch on the back of the PSU or something?
What I call "full shutdown" is turning USB power off in S5 (shutdown) state (RGB turns off as well). When I do a shutdown from Windows 10, the surge protector (I found the source of the sound), makes that arcing sound.

However, if USB power is turned on is S5 state, the surge protector will not make any sound, until I physically turn off the switch on the PSU or the socket.

Removing and changing the surge protector fixed the issue.

However,
based on what I read online, the buzzing occurs when a dying surge protector experience a high-voltage spike.

Does that mean my PSU puts a high voltage spike when it fully turns off?

My PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80+ Gold Full Modular

Is this a bad PSU?

What I call "full shutdown" is turning USB power off in S5 (shutdown) state (RGB turns off as well). When I do a shutdown from Windows 10, the surge protector (I found the source of the sound), makes that arcing sound.

However, if USB power is turned on is S5 state, the surge protector will not make any sound, until I physically turn off the switch on the PSU or the socket.

Removing and changing the surge protector fixed the issue.

However,
based on what I read online, the buzzing occurs when a dying surge protector experience a high-voltage spike.

Does that mean my PSU puts a high voltage spike when it fully turns off?

My PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80+ Gold Full Modular

Is this a bad PSU?

The PSU should not be discharging back into the line.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech