Question Buzzing sound from the front headphone jack when GPU is under load.

Nibbzey

Prominent
Oct 3, 2019
I've tried my best at trying to figure out where the buzzing sound originates from and I'm a little stumped and not sure what to try/check next. I've read a bunch of forums before posting this but I couldn't find any information on what to do next.

• So far I've concluded that the buzzing sound only comes from the front headphone jack when the GPU is under load, i.e. when playing Apex. If I plug my headphones on the backside directly to the MB I won't get any buzzing sound at all.

• Realtek drivers are updated to the newest version from MSI website but nothing changed.

• I tried rerouting the audio cable from the MB to the front panel via the "left side" so that it was as far away from any other cable as possible without any change.

• I've disconnected both of the USB cables from the MB and front panel to conclude that it is not a USB ground issue.

But as you can see in this video View: https://imgur.com/a/NQwzzI3
I then noticed that I can make the "noise" sound a lot higher by pulling the headphone cable when connected and even make the buzzing sound disappear completely.

I believe that it might be a ground issue? I think that when I move the cable I make some of the components in the PCB touch the metal plating where the PCB is mounted on and it's then picked up by the audio jack. I'm not well educated in electricity and not sure how to check/confirm if this is true. I would like to try and lift off the PCB with the metal plating from the chassi but I'm afraid it could cause a short? I have a multimeter but not sure how to use it for this. So if anyone here could give me any advice I would really appreciate it.

Specs

MSI Codex XE 9SD-258EU
MB: Z370-A PRO
CPU: i5-9600K
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor

Nibbzey

Prominent
Oct 3, 2019
Update, I've noticed that if a push a little on the metal shield where the front PCB is mounted on, I can make the sound disappear aswell. But then again, I don't know how to test or confirm if this is the issue or just a bypass of something else.

I believe so as well, I'll read up on how to safely operate around PC components before going forward :)
What I would do is....being you can turn it on and off without hurting anything....I would try to visibly see what's going on.
Maybe you can remove a panel or something to get more visibility and see something touching etc.
The main thing is....you don't want to be powered up if you can cause a short anywhere....but I don't think being powered up and doing what you're doing is hurting anything.
Things like this.....I tinker with until I find it.

Nibbzey

Prominent
Oct 3, 2019
@jay32267
I created a small album with pictures on how the front PCB looks View: https://imgur.com/a/9JORq3D
. I removed the PCB with the metal shield from the PC case and noticed that the noise got louder and that if I touched the metal shield with the case, the noise got much quieter, but as before, even with the metals touching I still heard the noise through my headphones when in a game and I had to push a little on the headphone cable and that made the noise disappear completely.