Question Buzzing sound in speakers only when playing games after upgrading the graphics card

phughes200

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
FYI: cross posted in components

I just upgraded my desktop graphics card to a XFX Radeon 570. Now when I play games I am getting a buzzing sound that varies in intensity with the level of the graphic settings. Louder if graphics is set to high, quieter if set to low. I am using the motherboard audio chipset (Realtek ALC889).

Some background:

1. Both computer and speakers are plugged into a grounded outlet. The speaker transformer does not have a ground plug.
  2. Drivers are up to date
  3. Before the upgrade, I did not have an issue.
  4. The buzzing does not occur if I am not playing games. YouTube videos are fine.
  5. Speakers are plugged into the motherboard.
  6. Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3.
My question is:

1. How can I fix this? Will buying a low end sound card fix this. I am only interested in stereo sound. A high end 7.1 sound cord would be overkill.
  2. Is the graphics card defective?
Research seems to indicate this is a common problem.

What you are experiencing is called coil whine coming from the gpu. In laymens term the more electricity you pull thru the card, like playing high fps games, the louder the "whine" or buzzing as people call it will be. It is not a defect per say, some are louder than others. You can try and send it back and hope the next one doesn't buzz as loud but there are no guarantees. Some people are more sensitive to the sound than others.

'

phughes200

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
What you are experiencing is called coil whine coming from the gpu. In laymens term the more electricity you pull thru the card, like playing high fps games, the louder the "whine" or buzzing as people call it will be. It is not a defect per say, some are louder than others. You can try and send it back and hope the next one doesn't buzz as loud but there are no guarantees. Some people are more sensitive to the sound than others.

'
Thank you. The sound is coming from the speakers not the card.