[SOLVED] Buzzing sound when recording from mic on USB-connected headset.

volkerball3011

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hello all, I apologize if this isn't the proper category for this issue, but I had no clue which one to choose from the list.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is as stated in my subject line; an incessant, overpowering buzzing that comes through my mic anytime I try to communicate or record audio with it. From looking around on the internet, I deduced that this was probably a grounding issue of some sort, given the fact that the issue lessens if I place my hand on my PC case, especially near the USB port my headset is plugged into.

The catch? My PC -is- grounded. I can look at my power strip right now, and the "GROUNDED" and "PROTECTED" lights are both on. And yet, my problem persists.

For future reference, my headset is a Sades SA902. Besides this, here's my specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 ITX Compact
PSU: Corsar CX750M

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Your headset is cheap so you can't expect a good quality microphone. Its probably from the microphone itself and has nothing to do with your PC.

I'm aware of that, but the issue isn't the sound quality. I've used this headset for two years without any real issue, and the sound quality was always just fine. I haven't used the mic in a while, and suddenly it's doing this, buzzing and overpowering anything I try to record or broadcast. On top of this, as I said, it's behaving exactly as if my PC has a grounding issue, with the noise diminishing or stopping so long as my hand is on the case.

That being said, earlier today it occurred to me to test a different USB audio device and see if the problem persists. The only other...

volkerball3011

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Your headset is cheap so you can't expect a good quality microphone. Its probably from the microphone itself and has nothing to do with your PC.

I'm aware of that, but the issue isn't the sound quality. I've used this headset for two years without any real issue, and the sound quality was always just fine. I haven't used the mic in a while, and suddenly it's doing this, buzzing and overpowering anything I try to record or broadcast. On top of this, as I said, it's behaving exactly as if my PC has a grounding issue, with the noise diminishing or stopping so long as my hand is on the case.

That being said, earlier today it occurred to me to test a different USB audio device and see if the problem persists. The only other microphone I own that inputs via USB is a Logitech Webcam, so I dug it out and tried it. No buzzing. NONE. So, as you said, it does appear to be the fault of the headset's mic, not my wiring or my PC's fault, but it's just so bizarre that the symptoms line up with it being a grounding issue.

So... I suppose this issue is solved, unless I get a new (and hopefully less cheap) headset and it does the same. Apologies for making a thread, though, as I wouldn't have had to if I'd remembered to test out my webcam in the first place. 😅

Thank you for your reply, as well. 🙂

Solution