[SOLVED] Buzzing sound

AlphaWolf464

Commendable
Feb 18, 2020
Whenever I turn my pc on, it makes a loud buzzing noise. Judging by from where it’s coming, it seems to be caused by the little chip that’s attached to underneath where the power button is. Any idea of the problem?

An audio clip or video would be helpful. Also, your system specifications including your motherboard model AND where exactly, visually, on the board, you believe the noise to be coming from, would be helpful.

Are you sure the buzzing noise isn't coming from the small system speaker attached to the board? Usually they look like this and disconnecting it from the board would tell us at least whether that is the source of the noise or not. If it is, then we have to figure out WHY it is buzzing because they generally indicates a substantial problem with the motherboard or some component to a degree that the board is unable to simply "beep" it's normal error codes.

464899_054650_01_front_zoom.jpg

AlphaWolf464

Commendable
Feb 18, 2020
An audio clip or video would be helpful. Also, your system specifications including your motherboard model AND where exactly, visually, on the board, you believe the noise to be coming from, would be helpful.

Are you sure the buzzing noise isn't coming from the small system speaker attached to the board? Usually they look like this and disconnecting it from the board would tell us at least whether that is the source of the noise or not. If it is, then we have to figure out WHY it is buzzing because they generally indicates a substantial problem with the motherboard or some component to a degree that the board is unable to simply "beep" it's normal error codes.

464899_054650_01_front_zoom.jpg
Ah yes, sorry. It is an I buy power prebuilt pc with windows(I can link the amazon page if necessary, because I buy power doesn’t really give them individual titles.) The chip is only a few inches long, so I can’t really discern specifically where on it. I dont believe it is the motherboard, its much smaller and the ratio of the sides is higher. Audio clip attached
View: https://youtu.be/PeImIM4MSP4

Last edited:

AlphaWolf464

Commendable
Feb 18, 2020
Okay, I have found the issue, kind of. There is a black wire with a white stripe going down from near the power button to the bottom of the pc. I accidentally poked it, and noticed that in the position I moved it to when I poked it, it didn’t make the sound, so I know it’s that wire. I don’t see the thing that’s hitting against it to make the noise, but just moving the wire itself seems to work. For about 30 seconds. After that, I guess it moves back into place. What’s the best plan of action now? One idea I thought of would be taping the wire into a specific location, but I don’t know if that would be a good idea.

AlphaWolf464

Commendable
Feb 18, 2020
Your dealing with electricity so the only tape that will isolate the wire is the one I gave above, availabele in every hardware or supermarket and dirt cheap, BUT it may well stop a short in your PSU and frying your PC components.

As it is a pre-built PC they use cheap parts, cases, psu etc.... as they want to make money. Everyone looks at the CPU and GPU that is in it and way to little as to what actually powers the machine.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf464

Commendable
Feb 18, 2020
Your dealing with electricity so the only tape that will isolate the wire is the one I gave above, availabele in every hardware or supermarket and dirt cheap, BUT it may well stop a short in your PSU and frying your PC components.

As it is a pre-built PC they use cheap parts, cases, psu etc.... as they want to make money. Everyone looks at the CPU and GPU that is in it and way to little as to what actually powers the machine.
The issue isn’t isolating the bare wire, it’s just holding it so it stops hitting against something. Would any other kinds of tape be ok for that?

The reason it is called Isolation tape is because it is safest way to isolate an electric current, electricty can "jump" so other tapes do not do the same job. It costs $2.99 a roll so what does a new PC cost?....

It may not be a bare wire you can see but a buzz is caused by current, so isloate the wire and then stick it with whatever you wish to whatever.... or is it hitting a fan?

AlphaWolf464

Commendable
Feb 18, 2020
The reason it is called Isolation tape is because it is safest way to isolate an electric current, electricty can "jump" so other tapes do not do the same job. It costs $2.99 a roll so what does a new PC cost?....

It may not be a bare wire you can see but a buzz is caused by current, so isloate the wire and then stick it with whatever you wish to whatever.... or is it hitting a fan?
I don’t see a bare wire, but I Don’t see a fan either, Whatever it is, it’s behInd something.

I didn't hear anything in the video really. Honestly, I'd just get a zip tie and zip tie the wire down to the case or to some other wires in a bundle.

Hard to imagine there is anything at the bottom of the case it could be causing to make noise unless there is a fan installed there. Glad you got it sorted out though.

TRENDING THREADS