Buzzing vibrating HDD

Corbetio

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I have a seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive in a Zalman Z9 case. Both are only a couple of months old but i have heard some loud buzzing coming from the area where the hard drive is recenly. THe side of the case is also vibrating. This only happens when i run a game and not immediately either. It sometimes stops after a few minutes but I'm worried it may be damaging. Thanks

Corbetio

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Do you think i should just back up my stuff and get a new one. The reasons i thought it might not be a mechanical failure was that it only happens in games and for a short time but i don't really know much about it all

Pr3di

Honorable
There are two posibilities:
1. The HDD is not mounted properly, and the moving of the internal parts makes the HDD vibrate in the mounting tray.
2. The HDD might be defective, and most likely in the long run it will crash on you.

If you make sure that the drive is correctly and securely mounted, you might contact the customer support of the producer and check what they will do about this.

Aykiddo

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

Check your Windows event logs for disk errors.
But like i said before you should make sure the drive is securely mounted first. It could be as simple as that

Corbetio

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

I took out the drive and put it back in twice. It does not have a tray. I was wondering if it is better to have the screws that attach the rubber things which hold it should be tight or a bit loose as someone said its better loose as it prevents vibration. Also how do i check the windowsd event log
Thanks

popatim

Titan
Make sure the screws in the drive are down all the way. On my system, which uses similar trays, I had to put some electrical tape along the edge of the drive to get a better fit and keep it from buzzing. Keep in mind that it could be your HDD housing rack thats vibrating as well. It will take some effort on your part to figure it out.

And you should always have at least your important files backed up....

Aykiddo

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
Loose screws will cause vibration. You want them tightened. Considering you have Windows 7, just click the Start button and type Event Viewer. From there you would go Windows Logs > System . Source should be "Disk"

TRENDING THREADS