Question Buzzing/Whirring noise coming from PC when monitor goes into standby

Sep 24, 2022
I've been playing Cyberpunk all day and this evening I paused it to scroll down TikTok (I know, it's awful) and I was deeply engaged in it for a good 15 minutes at which point my monitor turned itself off to save power as it usually does. However I noticed a strange buzzing/whirring sound coming from the PC almost as soon as this happened. I can't pinpoint it, and it sounds similar to coil whine albeit a lower pitch.
I've done a small bit of testing and have found that it does not do this when out of game, so it's either something directly related to Cyberpunk 2077 or load on the hardware.
I'm autistic and quite prone to anxiety especially around my computer as it means a great deal to me. I'm hoping someone will be able to provide some insight and allow me to diagnose the issue.
If it is of relevance or use, my specs are as follows:
i9-9900k (base clock)
TUF Gaming Z390 WiFi Plus
TUF Gaming RTX 3080 10GB (also base clock)
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (no XMP)
970 EVO Nvme 1TB (boot drive and some games)
970 EVO Nvme 2TB (games including cyberpunk) I acquired this on the 6th of September 2022 for my birthday and installed it the same day if this is useful info
4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Corsair RM850 80+ Gold PSU

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Hi,

Are you able to have the case open and try to replicate the issue and see if you can hear for which part of the PC it's coming from?

I would imagine that it's something to do with the FPS, since the monitor turns it's self off the FPS must change and this could cause coil whine from the GPU probably.