[SOLVED] Buzzing /whirring sounds coming from the CPU area.

bloodybritan

Prominent
Sep 10, 2020
Hello,
I have switched from a R5 3600 to a R7 5800x yesterday and so far everything is working absolutely fine except for a buzzing/whirring sounds coming from the CPU area. I have already tried stopping the fans while the PC was running which didn't help. I'm 100% sure it's not the PSU, GPU or any hard drive because it's coming directly from the CPU/cooler area and I don't have any HDD's. I'm using an SPC Fortis 3 cooling tower. What could this sounds possibly be caused by, and is it harmful?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just noticed that the higher the load, the louder the sound. Running multi core in Cinebench results in 80*C and a pretty loud buzzing sound.

Last edited:
Solution
Where is the VRM going to be located on my motherboard?
msi-mpg-x570-gaming-plus_1.jpg

Without an exact motherboard, hard to say precisely.

Near the CPU, typically to the left is the power stage for primary core voltage and above are the minor voltages for memory, VCCIO, and others. Occasionally the minor voltages are located below the CPU. Never to the right since that is where the memory traces are.

A cheap motherboard without heatsinks makes it more obvious:

Upper left you have 4 gray blocks in a vertical line, these are coils (chokes) with a cladding that makes them square, keeps them together, and helps dissipate a little heat.
Next to them are small rectangular integrated circuits. These...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Coil whine from your motherboard VRMs supplying power to the CPU. Should be the little gray boxes under the heatsinks (they may not be attached to the heatsinks) Solution might be as simple as a little glob of silicone to dampen their wiggling.

bloodybritan

Prominent
Sep 10, 2020
Coil whine from your motherboard VRMs supplying power to the CPU. Should be the little gray boxes under the heatsinks (they may not be attached to the heatsinks) Solution might be as simple as a little glob of silicone to dampen their wiggling.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Near the CPU, typically to the left is the power stage for primary core voltage and above are the minor voltages for memory, VCCIO, and others. Occasionally the minor voltages are located below the CPU. Never to the right since that is where the memory traces are.

Upper left you have 4 gray blocks in a vertical line, these are coils (chokes) with a cladding that makes them square, keeps them together, and helps dissipate a little heat.
Next to them are small rectangular integrated circuits. These are the VRMs themselves, and likely a set of controllers. These are essentially transistors that take the incoming 12V and reduce it down to the ~1 volt the CPU needs for operation.

Above are the two remaining coils and different control/VRM chips, these are probably the other voltages mentioned above. On this one memory supply might be over on the right side of the memory. Layout changes with board size, cost, etc. Higher end motherboards will have many additional VRM phases, doubling schemes, and large heatsinks to help run more power hungry CPUs.

615QF0Z2wNL.jpg

Solution

bloodybritan

Prominent
Sep 10, 2020

Next to them are small rectangular integrated circuits. These are the VRMs themselves, and likely a set of controllers. These are essentially transistors that take the incoming 12V and reduce it down to the ~1 volt the CPU needs for operation.

Above are the two remaining coils and different control/VRM chips, these are probably the other voltages mentioned above. On this one memory supply might be over on the right side of the memory. Layout changes with board size, cost, etc. Higher end motherboards will have many additional VRM phases, doubling schemes, and large heatsinks to help run more power hungry CPUs.

615QF0Z2wNL.jpg
I'm running an MSI X570 Gaming Plus motherboard. I posted the pic of it in the previous reply, and as far as I understand, the VRM is probably going to be the big black heatsink to the left of the CPU?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depending on how you posted the picture, not everyone can seem them. I can't see that one. Either adblocked or an untrusted website. And the forum itself had certain compatibility limits. Links to straight JPGs seems to work best for me.

Yep, those six gray blocks are the coils. Take an unsharpened pencil, chopstick, dowel rod, etc, held lightly, and touch each one when the CPU is under load, if you feel a tingle or the sound stops, that is the one making the noise.