G

i have a tyan motherboard(with a via chipset) and a a-open soundcard. when i'm playing music i get a buzzing from my speakers whenever the hard drive is accessed. i tried different speakers and even installed a different soundcard for a while with no improvement. any sugestions??

G

Well, hrm. You could try lengthening your MP3 playback buffer in winamp. That *might* help. If you've had that card on that motherboard with that hard disk for a while and it just now started acting up like that, you can do what I do when things get rough -- format and reinstall windows. Back up your mp3's on a hard drive partition first though.=)

<font color=red>=P

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
If you are using windows, open the volume control panel and make sure all input/outputs are displayed, then ensure all are muted except for master and Wave/DirectSound. could be an aux input or mic etc. causing the hum.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Sounds like EMI to me. And that's a tough one to fix, if it is. My laptop does the same thing (feedback through speakers), reminds me of an F-18 spinning up an engine.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
If it is EMI, some newer boards have an on board EMI control option, on most boards I believe it is called Spread Sprectrum Modulation. Beware though, I have heard it is not kind to system performance, should be a good test though.

TRENDING THREADS