Question BX500 and 860 qvo, to avoid?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hello
As the MX500 is out of stock in 1tb at both Amazon France and Germany, Evo 860 too pricey for my budget, I wonder if BX500 and EVQ 860 1tb are too bad?
My usage will be to put this ssd in an enclosure to usb for an external usage between my PC and TV.
I don't think I will install games on it.
So should I get either one or look for another brand like PNY for dram model?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Do not get the BX. The BX is a DRAM less SSD and because if that performs worse then many traditional HDDs. Between the two the QVO is definitely better but in my opinion I would wait for the MX500 to get back in stock.

You can use pcpartspicker to locate other retailers of the drive

The thing is that I am travelling to Paris this week fir sone days only, in my country Lebanon there are no more good ssd due to the crazy economic $ crisis.
I usually order from Amazon because they are always respecting delivery time. I see the QVO is very similar in performance to the EVO with the only negative to avoid more than 40gb bulk transfers which is not something I do anyway

Both have QLC if you're talking the 1TB BX500 (the 960GB is TLC). The 860 QVO is also QLC-based, but has DRAM, although it's still a tier below the best drives. The SanDisk Ultra/WD Blue 3D are the same drive, yes, and pretty good if you can get them cheaper than the Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 EVO.

popatim

Titan
As said the WD Blue 3d and the Sandisk Ultra 3d are the same drive but do differ in controller firmware and, iirc, the WD is slightly faster.

Toms did a rather nice review of the Sandisk and compares it to the WD if you really want to dig into this.

btw - the Mx500 1To shows as in stock for me on Frances Amazon page.

Reactions: Maxxify