Question BX500 crucial ssd with ghost writing

Feb 17, 2022
Hello friends, first I ask you not to notice the English because I am Brazilian and I need google translator to post this request for help. Come on! I recently installed a Crucial BX500 SSD in my computer, installed Windows 10, and I'm noticing very loud writing through the CrystalDiskInfo program. With only 110 hours of use the ssd has already written 967GB. That totals almost 9GB per hour. But I don't know where this writing is coming from because I'm sure the copies, installations and downloads I made don't exceed 100GB. I've already contacted Crucial and they said everything is fine with my SSD through their program's S.M.A.R.T. Can anyone tell me what's going on? I believe this is not normal.

Feb 17, 2022
so i bought the new ssd, sealed. When installing the SSD I have already installed the windows, drivers and programs. I used the internet a little, after that I decided to check it out of curiosity and it was at 111gb

Feb 17, 2022
How many writes did it get in the last 24 hours?

The average person writes perhaps 5 to 15 TB per year.

Multiply the writes in the last 24 hours by 365 to get an estimate annual total. How many TB is that?
In the last 24 hours I don't know but if I do 967GB divided by 110 hours it would give 8.79GB per hour x 24 hrs = 210.96GB x 365 = 77TB per year, which would result in the range of 1 and a half year of use since its TBW is 120TB.

Feb 17, 2022
And that is mostly misleading in the first few days/weeks of installing a new drive.

If extrapolated from the first 2 days of use, most drives would die before a year is out.

The write curve flattens out after that.
This message reassures me, I hope it really is that because if it continues every day like this, it's discouraging. It's been a little over two weeks since I installed this SSD.

In the last 24 hours I don't know but if I do 967GB divided by 110 hours it would give 8.79GB per hour x 24 hrs = 210.96GB x 365 = 77TB per year, which would result in the range of 1 and a half year of use since its TBW is 120TB.

That doesn't mean much. Writes very early in ownership are deceiving.

What matters is how much it writes from now on. In the third month, in the fourth month, in the fifth month and so on.

TBW doesn't mean much either. The drive can fail at any time regardless. It could easily perform very well after all of the 120 TBW is used.

Track writes over the next month and multiply by 12 to get you in the ballpark for annual writes. Until you have owned it for a longer period of time you are worrying unnecessarily.

Reactions: hardy30
Here's a real world example.

I'm a perfectly ordinary user who does normal stuff with a PC.

My boot drive is a Crucial MX 100.

Purchased in March 2015.

Zero issues, working perfectly.

TBW 72

Total writes so far:

44 TB in 83 months.

That's about 6 TB a year.

Crystal Disk Info says "Health status good; 73%".

42000 hours of operation.

Powered on 2600 times.

It could die at any minute or it could last 20 years. No way of knowing, but I'm not worried at all. I can't control the life expectancy.

Hello friends, first I ask you not to notice the English because I am Brazilian and I need google translator to post this request for help. Come on! I recently installed a Crucial BX500 SSD in my computer, installed Windows 10, and I'm noticing very loud writing through the CrystalDiskInfo program. With only 110 hours of use the ssd has already written 967GB. That totals almost 9GB per hour. But I don't know where this writing is coming from because I'm sure the copies, installations and downloads I made don't exceed 100GB. I've already contacted Crucial and they said everything is fine with my SSD through their program's S.M.A.R.T. Can anyone tell me what's going on? I believe this is not normal.
Monitor the usage with CDI for a few days see if the usage/hr is working its way down.

Perhaps use the resource monitor to try and get a clue.

I suspect that usage/hr number is all over the map depending on the user.

I just check mine and I'm looking at 1.37GB/hr.

Feb 17, 2022
Here's a real world example.

I'm a perfectly ordinary user who does normal stuff with a PC.

My boot drive is a Crucial MX 100.

Purchased in March 2015.

Zero issues, working perfectly.

TBW 72

Total writes so far:

44 TB in 83 months.

That's about 6 TB a year.

Crystal Disk Info says "Health status good; 73%".

42000 hours of operation.

Powered on 2600 times.

It could die at any minute or it could last 20 years. No way of knowing, but I'm not worried at all. I can't control the life expectancy.
Right Lafong, good placement

Feb 17, 2022
Monitor the usage with CDI for a few days see if the usage/hr is working its way down.

Perhaps use the resource monitor to try and get a clue.

I suspect that usage/hr number is all over the map depending on the user.

I just check mine and I'm looking at 1.37GB/hr.
Hi Bob, sorry but what would this CDI be?

Feb 17, 2022
Hello friends,

Finally solved the mystery. Well, I spent the last few days researching and testing. I learned about a program, Process Hacker, in which it shows not only what is being written to the ssd but also the total recorded by each application since windows was started. The "problem" is actually the browser, which in this case had discarded the idea since Crucial itself had told me that watching videos on the internet did not generate writing on the ssd, which is not true! Yes, I see many videos on youtube, many of them in 4K. The writing that these streams consume is ABSURD! when I left a video running, I started to notice the Process Hacker (mentioned above) and in minutes I had already written more than 1 GB on the SSD. It turns out that all browser information is cached on the ssd (I didn't know that, I thought the cache write was passed to RAM and not to the SSD). In 8 hours with the PC on, the browser was generating almost 40GB of writing. To get around this problem I directed the chrome cache path to a hard drive (luckily I have a hard drive in my pc), just like that the ssd rested. Second villain of the story was Windows Defender that when leaving the pc at rest for about 2 hours, on the way back it was recording 6GB of writing on the SSD, why I don't know but I already deactivated it and installed Malware Bytes only. That's it guys, thank you all!!