Bye Bye Clawhammer...

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Welp AMD let the cat out of the bag yesterday with the announcement that AMD will target the server market with Opteron and skip the desktop till the barton. This will snuff any ideas you had about running x86-64 on the desktop.

<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,637644,00.asp" target="_new">Click</A>

AMD still having problems getting the 2400+ out the door. 2200+ is still the highest CPU readily available from AMD.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Actually it says that the Clawhammer wont hit the Desktop market till 2H 2003...but it does says that it wont be released as early as everyone or even they were entisapating for the Desktop market....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I should have worded better, but you get the gist of it.

Now is a good time for THG to do some clawhammer mobo reviews...

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

G

>This will snuff any ideas you had about running x86-64 on
>the desktop.

AMD had already delayed the clawhammer till Q2 2003. The only thing "new" is that Opteron/sledge is still on course for a H1 launch. This makes sense, since sledge is a higher profit, lower quanitity product. To me, this is rather good news than bad. I had feared Sledge would slip well beyond claw to Q3/Q4 '03.

>This will snuff any ideas you had about running x86-64 on
>the desktop.

It will delay those ideas until somewhere H2 2003, but we already knew that.

>AMD still having problems getting the 2400+ out the door.
>2200+ is still the highest CPU readily available from AMD

Depends what you call "available from AMD". As an end user, buying just the cpu from a local dealer, yes. OEMs are getting moderatly decent supplies of 2400+ and 2600+ though.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

eden

Champion
Look Fugger, I know you'd expect me to just defend AMD (you and Melty seem to have this view on me since my registration here), but I am with you on this one, it's not AMD's turn and won't be for a long time.

It really does feel now like the K6 days. AMD will be a silent non-competitory company providing mid to lower end CPUs for OEMs. Will enthusiasts still buy? Doubtful, a small minority will, and the fanboys, but I expect AMD to be out of our minds for some time. Next year, in the second half, they have their chance to try to break in, I mean their server Opteron will likely do some success, and although it'd be stupid to judge the performance by the Spec tests, the fact it beat down an Itanium 2 in one, leaves some optimistic ideas about its server possibilities and opportunities. AMD will have to drift from desktop customers for a while, remain silent and hope Opteron is successful. If so, the cash will come in more since it's expensive, and that just might be what they need to strike back into the desktop world.

Until then, I won't really say much about AMD, to be honest, their name is becoming more background.

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 10/17/02 04:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Itainium 2 was at 1ghz, hammer was at 2ghz. I say the Itainium faired very well dont you???

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

eden

Champion
It is IA64, it's another thing.
Wow, suddenly YOU are trying to discuss MHZ vs MHZ, spuddy, how smart.

It's the end performance that matters, and as I said, it's not to sound stupid but to show optimism.

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Discussing??? No i was mearly pointing out the core frequency differences of the two platforms.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

eden

Champion
...which with any smart and open-minded person here would know, MHZ means squat in benchmarks, it's only for the uneducated masses that it matters.

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

eden

Champion
THG and HardOCP had Spec Bench graphs, go check there, otherwise there is a thread in here recently, by Kelledin. Keep in mind I said ONE test of the tests (2).

And yeah, that was my point on the clock speed thing.

--

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
It matters for those tests though. Faster the cpu speed the "in most cases" faster instructions can be dealt with. And being the tests they used rely on fpu calc's and integer calcs. Which speed is a determining factor that cant be ignored.

If it wasnt they why use the 2.8 why not use a 1.6 or a 2.53 or a 3.06 ht enabled bad boy.

-Jeremy

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd be more worried about "Bye Bye AMD..."

As I posted in another forum yesterday:

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543_1991~55829,00.html" target="_new">AMD 3rd quarter financial results</A>
"AMD (NYSE:AMD) today reported sales of $508,227,000 and a net loss of $254,171,000, for the quarter ended September 29, 2002."
"Third quarter sales declined by 34 percent from the third quarter of 2001 and by 15 percent from the second quarter of 2002."
"Excluding the effects of restructuring and other special charges, the 2001 third quarter loss was $97,424,000, or $0.28 per share."
“PC processor sales of $262 million for the quarter declined by 31 percent from the $380 million reported in the second quarter of 2002."
"AMD memory sales of $189 million were up 8 percent from the $175 million in the second quarter of 2002. For the second quarter in a row, AMD Flash memory bit shipments reached an all-time record level."

<A HREF="http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20021015corp_a.htm" target="_new">intel 3rd quarter financial results</A>
"Intel Corporation today announced third-quarter revenue of $6.5 billion, up 3 percent sequentially and flat year-over-year."
"Third-quarter net income was $686 million, up 54 percent sequentially and up 547 percent year-over-year."
"Third-quarter net income excluding acquisition-related costs1 of approximately $108 million was $768 million, up 24 percent sequentially and up 17 percent year-over-year."
"Intel Architecture microprocessor unit shipments were higher.
Chipset unit shipments were higher.
Motherboard unit shipments were approximately flat.
Flash memory unit shipments were higher.
Ethernet connectivity product unit shipments were higher."

By the time the Clawhammer (0.13, 256k L2, DDR I) comes out it'll be competing agaist the Prescott (0.09, 1024k L2, 4x166FSB, DDR II) and Madison. Forget the benchmarks against McKinley (Itanium II) and Northwood Xeon 2.8 chips and start looking for Prescott, Madison (IA64 Itanium III), and Deerfield (IA64 "celeron") benchmarks.

edit:
And I'm sure <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q4/021017/index.html" target="_new">VIA and AOpen are thrilled now that they have a board that's useless for the next 10 months</A>.

- JW

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 10/17/02 05:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel could choose now to slow down their speed updates, and leave the pricing structure almost the same as it is now, for months. This would allow them to make more money in the short term. But I doubt they are too lame to do that just yet. I think they will keep the power race going until they have a very large lead on AMD, to increase pressure on AMD at the release of the hammers. In other words, to minimize the impact of the hammers on the sales of P4's.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
intel will have a lower yild on higher modele no need a paper launch.3 ghz it good and cannot be beat be any K7 so why rush something just get sure that you dont got much delay on Presscott maybe even wait to have a very good yield on 0.09.

Now what to do??

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, since the Claw isn't gonna be out til 2H03, there's no need to rush the Prescott at all. As you said getting higher yeilds will be really good for their profit margins and squeeze AMD even more.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't speak Franglais. I speak a little french. I speak more english. I speak a lot of [-peep-]. But I don't speak Franglais. So I really didn't get anything enlightening or argumentative from juins comment. To which you responded.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
It sounds to me like AMD is losing faith in the clawhammer's capabilities.

Quote from above article: "In place of Clawhammer, executives said, AMD's 2003 PC desktop and mobile offerings will largely be driven by Barton, the delayed followon to the Athlon XP. Neither Ruiz nor Herb said the Clawhammer was going to be delayed, per se, but they gave a strong indication that if the Clawhammer is introduced, it may be only in the limited quantities that have of late accompanied AMD product launches."

I haven't read much about Barton, how is it likely going to compare to Prescott in the event Clawhammer doesn't perform well?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I speak English and I'm taking French in school at the moment, so I can speak of bit of Franglais...

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Barton will probably do as well vs. a high end P4 as the current Athlons are doing - not so well. First off, they can't match the performance, even with the paper launch products and by the time they actually come out, Intel's on with their next 2 product retail launches..

eden

Champion
Did anybody even read my comments in my first reply on this post?
THIS is what AMD will become, for a while.
I've learned after today, to let go of it.

Besides, this is the first time we've gotten more than 3 Hammer news in a WEEK, so be happy there's something stirring the forums!

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne