Bye Bye Clawhammer...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wish AMD would clear up the names of these things.

As I understand it they are designing three chips:
Clawhammer = Basic K8
Opteron = K8 DP (dual processor - 1 or 2 processor system)
Sledgehammer = K8 MP (multi processor - 3+ processor system)

Why do you think Clawhammer will not perform as well as Opteron clock for clock?

It's my understanding that Opterons are the same core "certified" to run in SMP - Clawhammer/Opteron = XP/MP. They are supposed to start at 3400+ and work up to 4400+ by the end of the year (2003).

Sledgehammer will be have a 1024k L2 with a 128bit DDR memory bridge and is set to debut at a rating of 4000+.

Unless I have the names mixed up and what I'm calling Slegehammer is what we're talking about.

- JW

eden

Champion
There are only two cores, but two marketted names.
ClawHammer is the basic new K8 core with all the addition known so far. Expected IPC, 35% based on estimation of current Spec Benches for Sledge.
Sledge extends with 1MB cache, Dual Channel DDR and MP support. Expected IPC, give or take the Spec benches, 50% higher than current AthlonXPs with Palomino core design.
Athlon DT is the name for Claws at 1-2 cores, and Sledges at 1-2 core max.
Opteron is the name for Claw with over 4-way capabilities while for Sledge it is for the full 8-way support. I am mixed in the Opterons since I thought CH was not supposed to have over 4 way CPU support, but I could be wrong, though that would pose a profit problem, since they will cost about twice less, and have about 20% less IPC, thus some companies may not look at Sledge with a big smile.

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne

G

Are you sure ? this is not how I understood it.
I though something like:
Athlon "DT" = clawhammer (256Kb cache, 1 memory controller, single cpu operation, 2 (?) HT links)
Opteron DP = clawhammer (256 or 512 Kb cache, 1 mem controller, dual cpu capable 2 (?) HT links)
Opteron MP = sledgehammer (1 Mb cache, 2 mem controllers, glueless quad cpu support, 3 HT links)

I could be wrong though...

>I am mixed in the Opterons since I thought CH was not
>supposed to have over 4 way CPU support, but I could be
>wrong,

You are wrong; well, you forgot the word "glueless"; since Opteron has three HT links, it can support 4-way SMP without any external logic. But nothing stops you from creating a HT switch, and scale well beyond 32 way. Heck, Cray's Red Storm will use well over 10.000 Opterons, connected by a 3 dimensional HT mesh. This is in no way comparable to traditional beowolf clusters, and is a very strong testimonial of the flexibility and power of the hypertransport architecture. Its really like using lego blocks...

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Just what the hell are you trying to quote me about or replying me for?!
Hmm good question I cant find what I quoted you for. I never got drunk either so I got no idea wtf happened there. Sorry ill try to "NOT" do that again.

but you are truly starting to be annoying with your erroneus syntax, lack of punctuation and simply no relation to what we say
Come on there Eden be nice will ya I all frustrated as it is trying to find out what I quoted from. I really don’t need you pointing out my poor English I'm sure it makes you feel real good to point that out but Ill remind you this is a open forum It's hardly a issues (in my opinion) to have perfect syntax, grammar and sentence structure. But whatever can’t win em all I guess.

Now for the record what I quoted there where ever I originally got it from what I perceived you quoting as AMD technology. Now since I cant find the quote that I quoted you from originally I simply will say I had a memory lapse and could be going crazy.

Once more, where did you grab from me the idea that they want to supply OEMs?
OEM's are a huge chunk of revenue for any given CPU manufacturer.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

eden

Champion
I wasn't trying to imply about poor grammar or such, for me it does not annoy me when someone has poor english, it's simply the way you reply to people in a run-on way, which OFTEN changes the whole meaning of your phrase, and I'd imagine you meant something you didn't mean. That's what annoyed me.

As for OEMs, I don't doubt what you said, but I replied to you on that because you seemed to infer I SAID that they will supply OEMs mainly and largely. I simply said the server market is much less dependant on huge supplies the OEM market would need for the Desktop sector, and that is undeniable, until further proof to correct me.

--
"Let Go." -Avril Lavigne<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 10/22/02 03:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, it's tomorrow. And intel just got 20%+ faster. More like 40%+ faster according to <A HREF="http://www.myhard.com/20021019/1635820.shtml" target="_new">these benchmarks</A>, but it is Sandra.

<A HREF="http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr" target="_new">For those who don't speak Chinese...</A>

- JW

TRENDING THREADS