News Bykski Launches Radeon VII Waterblock

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
Bykski is the first manufacturer to launch a full-coverage waterblock for AMD's Radeon VII graphics card. Read more here.
Bykski-Radeon-VII-Waterblock.png

ZHIYE LIU
@zhiyeliu

Zhiye Liu is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He covers CPU, GPU and Motherboard news.

Reactions: pitogo

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Sweet, was hoping to see one from EK but contemplating waiting or getting this one. My Radeon VII so far is stock at stock speeds and I'm regularly hitting average ~110c with max of 115C junction temps in Apex Legends.

Update: I ordered one, will see how it goes. Also they enticed with a discount code "HOLDUP" if you want to get it for 10% off. Looking forward it it. Hope it works as well as other potential solutions from EKWB.

Last edited:

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Received the waterblock, unfortunately the included installation instructions are in a foreign language. Contacted support for a detailed english version. I am not going to risk a $700 GPU trying to do this by guessing.

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Well I am very disappointed. I received the instructions and the waterblock is much much worse than the massive and loud air cooler. I modified the stock air cooler with the washer mod Radeon peaking at 101C on Junction Temperature and rarely throttling back. Before the washer mod stock from the factory I was reaching ~110 with some throttling. With this Bykski waterblock I'm now reaching 121C!! and throttling like crazy playing Tom Clancy's The Division 2. Gonna cry. I removed water block and checked the GPU paste coverage and it looked to be good, reapplied. Checked all of the VRM pads. Its possible either this GPU block is not able to soakup the 300W of heat disipation or the included thermal paste is poor. I am using a DDC 3.2 pump, EKWB XE 360 radiator, 3x120 Vardar fans, 16mm PETG hard tubing.

Last edited:

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
OK so I had to remove the waterblock and lap it I dry lapped with 800grit then wet lap and washed it smooth. There were very sharp ridges where the waterblock was milled on the surface where it meets the GPU. I ran my finger nail across the surface and it was getting hung up on those walls where the bit left an indentation. This was causing serious thermal issues as it left the thermal paste to fill the gaps. I also decided to replace the stock paste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Its now done some serious wonders. Can you believe I went from temp of 75C with a junction temp of 122C to now max 52C and junction temp 84C peaking at 1991MHz on the GPU with its own autoboost.