[SOLVED] C drive clone (SSD -> NVME)

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Hello!

I currently have a mid tier 512gb SSD as my C drive. My plan was to get a 1tb Samsung 970 plus nvme and then clone the current SSD to it using one of the free softwares out there, boot into bios and select as boot drive, then resume use of the PC. If I do this will it just recognize the new nvme as my C drive and proceed to work as usual?

Thanks!

Solution
Since the target is a samsung device, I suggest you use the free samsung ssd migration tool.
You can download the app and instructions here:
This is not a clone, it is a C drive mover which takes care of setting up other hidden partitions and expanding the free space.
You just install the m.2 ssd.
Samsung also has a pcie driver which you should also install.
When you run the app, it will let you select the target m.2 device.
You run the app and it will copy your C drive to the ssd.
This might take you an hour.
When done, it will power down and let you disconnect the original c drive.
Booting up will then use the new m,2.

The original C drive will not be changed...
Yes if you tell your bios to boot from the NVMe drive it will see it as the new C drive and label your old drive as D (if you have no other dvd/cd/harddrives installed) otherwise it will label it whatever is next in line for drive letters.

Since the target is a samsung device, I suggest you use the free samsung ssd migration tool.
This is not a clone, it is a C drive mover which takes care of setting up other hidden partitions and expanding the free space.

The original C drive will not be changed.
You can do what you wish with the original ssd, but I would suggest keeping it as a known good backup for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: ap3
Solution
Yes, in theory.

Success rates vary depending on user error, software used, and chance. Know what you will do if your clever plan fails....most likely a clean install.

Imaging is another option with perhaps a little better success rate.

Maybe lower your expectations on the SATA versus NVMe difference, unless you are changing purely for the higher capacity.

Hello!

I currently have a mid tier 512gb SSD as my C drive. My plan was to get a 1tb Samsung 970 plus nvme and then clone the current SSD to it using one of the free softwares out there, boot into bios and select as boot drive, then resume use of the PC. If I do this will it just recognize the new nvme as my C drive and proceed to work as usual?

Thanks!
Just an option.
Keep the 512 as the C drive (OS and apps) and use the 1TB as storage.

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020

The original C drive will not be changed.
You can do what you wish with the original ssd, but I would suggest keeping it as a known good backup for a while.
This is super helpful, thank you so much!

USAFRet

Titan
At the end of the clone process, the FIRST thing you do is:
Power OFF.
Physically remove the old drive.
Allow the system to (hopefully) power up with only the new drive connected.

Don't depend on just switching the boot order.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Yes, in theory.

Success rates vary depending on user error, software used, and chance. Know what you will do if your clever plan fails....most likely a clean install.

Imaging is another option with perhaps a little better success rate.

Maybe lower your expectations on the SATA versus NVMe difference, unless you are changing purely for the higher capacity.
Would there not necessarily be a benefit to doing this? I have a 2tb nvme already installed for games, the 512gb SSD just has my OS and apps etc.

Would there not necessarily be a benefit to doing this? I have a 2tb nvme already installed for games, the 512gb SSD just has my OS and apps etc.

Benefit.

In benchmarks?

Or if you didn't know you had changed from SSD 1 to SSD 2, would you notice a benefit in actual use?

Swapping from SSD 1 to SSD 2, regardless of SATA/NVMe is often of minimal benefit without a stopwatch.

I have an antique SSD as a boot drive and a modern NVMe as a data drive. I doubt I'd notice if I made changes.

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Benefit.

In benchmarks?

Or if you didn't know you had changed from SSD 1 to SSD 2, would you notice a benefit in actual use?

Swapping from SSD 1 to SSD 2, regardless of SATA/NVMe is often of minimal benefit without a stopwatch.

I have an antique SSD as a boot drive and a modern NVMe as a data drive. I doubt I'd notice if I made changes.
That is good to know! I may hold off on the SSD to NVMe upgrade for my C drive for now then, I was anticipating more benefit. Thanks!