Question C:\ is almost entirely out of space and looking to transfer Windows 10 to a larger SSD

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
So, my C:\ drive has 118gb which is now down to 8gb and it's showing in the red. I've tried to delete as much as I dare; I've moved things like Downloads to another drive. I'm also trying to move OneDrive to another drive but it still keeps saving files in C:\. Plus it seems that things like AV software and anything to do with Microsoft automatically installs to C:\ (why???? Surely they must realise that a lot of people have bigger drives other than the system drive where all this stuff could go.

I have another internal 2TB SSD ; this is where my games live. Would it be OK to create a partition in that drive of say 250gb to 300gb and clone the C:\ drive there? That would mean Windows 10 being on the same physical drive as my games; can that lead to issues down the line, or just slow down the system in general? It's really slow as it is; if it goes any slower it'll be at a standstill.

Or would it be better to purchase a new SSD and clone the C:\ drive on that instead. I'm not sure how many SSDs my motherboard can take. At the moment, there are two SSDs and one HDD. Obviously I would prefer not to buy a new SSD but if that's the best way forwards that's what I'll do. Unless there's a way to delete a whole load of unnecessary crap from C:\. I have already deleted old Windows data.

My motherboard is listed in my specs. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: One other thing - how do I find my Windows 10 key? I upgraded from Windows 7 so there's no physical box.

Have you been using this SSD since this system was built or have you done a CLEAN install of Windows at some point during the last five years or so?

Can you give us a list or at least a good idea of exactly what installed programs you run on this machine, for the reasons of determining probable expected space requirements?

Truthfully you should probably just buy a decent 500GB SSD and either do a clean install (Which would be HIGHLY recommended) or clone your existing SSD to it. In 2022 it's almost, sorry, laughable, to try and make 120GB work for any modern machine.

And while you CAN create a new partition on that 2TB SSD, it might open a whole other can of worms in some cases, especially in worst case scenarios. It would be much better to simply add a bigger SSD than you have now for the OS and avoid all that.

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Something like this would be fine. A pretty good choice in fact.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $46.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-05 14:03 EDT-0400

Yeah, my 2TB drive is a Crucial. Cool, I think I'll go ahead and do that then. Sounds like it would likely be the least complicated solution. If I decide to just do a system reinstallation, how do I find my Windows 10 key?

Likely if it is currently activated it will simply activate automatically after or during installation, especially if you already have it attached to a MS account. But just in case, it would be wise to read ALL of these, just to educate yourself if nothing else.

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks a lot, I could definitely do with reading that lot. I have taken my finger off the pulse of PC hardware/software in the last few years so am in definite need of up to date info!!!

This is a good place to lurk or participate if you want to get your finger back on the pulse again. LOL.

I'd also encourage you to read as many of the articles in the editorial section here, and on sites like Techspot, Tweaktown, TechpowerUP and GamersNexus to re-familiarize yourself with the changes in the industry you have likely missed.

Yeah, my 2TB drive is a Crucial. Cool, I think I'll go ahead and do that then. Sounds like it would likely be the least complicated solution. If I decide to just do a system reinstallation, how do I find my Windows 10 key?
Just do cloning.
It's way faster than full reinstall.

And there's no need for a key, if you do install on the same hardware,
where windows already has been installed and activated before.

Just do cloning.
It's way faster than full reinstall.
Whether this is good advice or not depends greatly on other factors not mentioned yet in this thread. If a clean install has been done already sometime in the near past, or the OS is trouble free and in great shape, then sure, cloning is a no brainer. But if not a clean install is a much wiser option and to be honest, for me at least, unless you have a bunch of pirated crap that you need to jump through all kinds of hoops to get reinstalled, or have software that has been on there for so long you have no idea where the installer or keys for it are, or simply have SO many programs installed that it's going to take a lot of time to reinstall them all, and in some cases even WITH those conditions, it's just as fast these days to do a clean install unless you're working with really old hardware.

I've done about four clean installations this week on client machines and so long as you have a decently fast internet connection it really doesn't take much longer to do a clean install and do the updates than it does to do a clone. Installing the applications afterwards might be a different story but regardless you will ALWAYS end up with a better final product by doing a clean install than you will by cloning, unless you've just recently done one. Still, I agree it is always an option.