Question C:,M.2>SSD500GB partition>then from partition to new NVME

Jan 4, 2021
So what I would like to do is..

C: drive is on 120GB WD m.2> Clone to 150GB partition on 500GB WD SSD> Remove 120gb m.2> Install WD black sn750 1TB nvme> Clone C: drive from partition to WD 1Tb sn750 nvme. any thoughts on this and what could go wrong or what to do different? I was concerned about cloning to partition as I thought I may format the entire drive? I only have 1 slot on my B450 tomahawk motherboard, that is why I have to clone> install> re-clone. I have cloned before with minimal troubles, any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated. many thanks!

B450 tomahawk motherboard
gskill trident z 16 Gb
evga gtx geforce 1060
evga 1300 g2 supernova power
C: WD m.2 120gb
wd 500gb ssd
samsung evo 500 gb ssd
wd easystore 4TB

Jan 4, 2021
Disregarding "partitions"....

What do you have now, and what do you want the end state to be?

Which drives, how they are configured, what specifically is on each.
As much detail as you can.

any how, it is a super easy task. I was really looking to see if anyone had encountered any difficulty with moving backups multiple times to new drives. from the other threads I read, they did not. but ya know the old saying measure twice cut once. when you say what do you have? do you mean the current c drive? all the info is in the prior message. thanks for the help.

USAFRet

Titan
any how, it is a super easy task. I was really looking to see if anyone had encountered any difficulty with moving backups multiple times to new drives. from the other threads I read, they did not. but ya know the old saying measure twice cut once. when you say what do you have? do you mean the current c drive? all the info is in the prior message. thanks for the help.
All the info is NOT there.

Specific drives make/model.
SATA or NVMe?
Why all these partitions?
Is this to use on the target as a new boot drive, or for "backups"?

USAFRet

Titan
current is m.2 sata wd m700. upgrading to m.2 nvme wd sn750.
OK...that is much better done with an Image, rather than an actual "clone".

Basically, using Macrium reflect, you make an Image of the whole drive. This gets saved to whatever drive has sufficient space.
Swap drives, and recover that Image to the new drive.

First, install the NVMe driver for your new drive.
Then....

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Jan 4, 2021
Remember....the current "C drive" is two partitions, not one. System Reserved boot partition, and then the actual C partition.
yes that is correct. please stop copy and pasting information have read from other websites and other threads you have copy pasted to. you still never tried to answer the actual question. have a nice day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2021
All I was looking for was, If you clone from a Hard drive- ssd, hdd, nvme, (it doesn't matter in this case), that is MBR to a hard drive that is GPT(partition) there will be a boot error. clone to drive with no partitions, MBR to MBR.