C:\windows folder on xp is > 50GB

pdhulipala

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hello,
I have XP Home edition on Toshiba satellite laptop. The Windows folder is now showing as 57.4GB out of hard drive capacity of 75 GB and the system has become very slow. I tried cleaning up with windows cleanup, cleaning up all restore points except the latest and all that. Still the size has reduced only marginally. Please advise how to fix this.

Solution

Definitely safe and adviseable to delete and keep a future eye on. Also, there's a folder in there of Temporary Internet Files which you can safely empty. I've seen this before and never worked out the reason behind it.

ktownmike

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hard drive usage is probably not the factor so I would look at more common problems. Do you have enough space to to run defrag? My easy ipos, turn off windows, and java automatic updates, turn off indexing, turn off fast user switching and in video adjust settings for best performance.

pdhulipala

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

I guess I have enough space for defrag. But how can I turn off auto updates, indexing etc. They would enable faster searches etc. Is there no other way to reduce the size of windows folder?

That's a ridiculously high figure for the Windows folder. However long it takes, right each folder one at a time and look at Properties until you find the one which is overstuffed. In Vista or W7 my guess would be on Winsxs but XP doesn't have that folder. Empty the Software Distribution>Download folder - it won't hold much but every little helps.

pdhulipala

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Hi Saga, There is a WinSxS folder in XP but that is only 88.9 MB. Software Distribution > Download folder is only 190 MB. I find that the System32 folder is 52GB. I am trying to avoid reloading of XP but I am not sure if there is another alternative.

pdhulipala

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I was checking folder by folder. The Config folder under System32 is 50.8 GB.
Config/SystemProfile/LocalSettings/Temp is showing 50.7 GB. Since it is a temp folder, can I delete all the files in it without impacting anything? Please let me know.

johhny-marshal

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

Right click C: drive and choose properties. In that window you will see the Disk Cleanup option. Click that and follow the instructions. It will show you the garbage files and many corrupted files. Select all check boxes and click OK. After that do it for the option System files.

pdhulipala

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Thank you, Saga. I emptied the Temp folder and the space is now reclaimed. System is working fine, though it is still a little slow. I defragmented the drive and deleted all temporary files. It might be slow because the laptop itself is old.

TRENDING THREADS