C:\Windows\Installer is huge, wanna clean it if possible

Bouzoo9

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
So after cleaning my HDD I discovered that the aforementioned folder has 13 GB. After googling a bit people are saying not to delete it etc., but then I found this tool people used

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/safely-delete-unused-msi-and-mst-files-from-windows-installer-folder/

So my question is should I use it, has anyone had experiences with it? Or is the other method I saw people saying safer, to make a junction on another drive which I'm trying to avoid because I'd like to get rid of files if possible.

Bouzoo9

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

I might do just that.

Because when I'm cleaning my drive its like OCD kicks in, I want to free as much space as I can

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
It's not impossible the file itself will simply continue to grow over time. I believe it's what links all your major software to the registry which allows it to work in the first place. Just make sure you back up the folder before you try anything crazy so you can always recover it. Only other option I can think of is to compress it or make the drive allow itself to compress files. Note: when you enable such a capability it will run slower just and FYI.
:bounce:

Cleaning a hard drive is very old school and NOT effective in modern Windows, in fact CAUSES ISSUES.
Just have a 1TB drive ($45 at Walmart) and not worry about it (aka put the OCD in check).
Yes WINDOWS and OFFICE by themselves will consumer over 40GB of space, with NOTHING ELSE INSTALLED.
Just a fact of life.