c:windowsslmaxs.exe error

when i start up my computer, i always receive this error message telling me
it could not find this file

c:\windows\slmaxs.exe

i recently defragmented my c:\ so is that the problem?

how do i get rid of this message?

please help soon

Hi

Please run the following progams
to see if there is any spyware on your system:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

Also have a look in msconfig>startup to see if the file is referenced there.
If so, uncheck it, then reboot your system.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"wildberry" <wildberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when i start up my computer, i always receive this error message telling
> me
> it could not find this file
>
> c:\windows\slmaxs.exe
>
> i recently defragmented my c:\ so is that the problem?
>
> how do i get rid of this message?
>
> please help soon

i uninstalled windows service pack 1 and it no longer comes up

is that okay..

i ran ad aware already and deleted the stuff it told me to there..

should it all be okay now?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please run the following progams
> to see if there is any spyware on your system:
>
> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>
> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
>
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
>
> Also see the following links:
>
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
>
> Also have a look in msconfig>startup to see if the file is referenced there.
> If so, uncheck it, then reboot your system.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "wildberry" <wildberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when i start up my computer, i always receive this error message telling
> > me
> > it could not find this file
> >
> > c:\windows\slmaxs.exe
> >
> > i recently defragmented my c:\ so is that the problem?
> >
> > how do i get rid of this message?
> >
> > please help soon

Hi

It wouldn't have been installed by SP1. Now you'll have to go to Windows
Updates to get back all the Critical/Security Updates so that your system is
up to date. You'll probably be offered SP2.

--

>i uninstalled windows service pack 1 and it no longer comes up
>
> is that okay..
>
> i ran ad aware already and deleted the stuff it told me to there..
>
> should it all be okay now?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please run the following progams
>> to see if there is any spyware on your system:
>>
>> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
>> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
>> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
>> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>>
>> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
>>
>> http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
>>
>> Also see the following links:
>>
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
>>
>> Also have a look in msconfig>startup to see if the file is referenced
>> there.
>> If so, uncheck it, then reboot your system.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "wildberry" <wildberry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > when i start up my computer, i always receive this error message
>> > telling
>> > me
>> > it could not find this file
>> >
>> > c:\windows\slmaxs.exe
>> >
>> > i recently defragmented my c:\ so is that the problem?
>> >
>> > how do i get rid of this message?
>> >
>> > please help soon

okay i ran windows update.. and error message doesnt come up anymore

ive ran virus scans and adware scans.. and nothing has come up..