C:windowssystem32configsystem is corrupt

jeff

When i startup my computer i get this message..

"WIndows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

ok ive been to the microsoft help website that help replace a missing
registry file but when i type "copy c:\windows\system32\config\system
c:\windows\tmp\system.bak " i get the message on the next command line that
says the system cannot find the file specified...

How do i fix this...Ive looked at other post and tried everyone of them and
nothing has worked??

Neil

Perhaps the file is actually missing. The next step would be to copy the
original "system" file back into the "config" folder.

Try "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\"

Neil

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When i startup my computer i get this message..
>
> "WIndows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
>
> ok ive been to the microsoft help website that help replace a missing
> registry file but when i type "copy c:\windows\system32\config\system
> c:\windows\tmp\system.bak " i get the message on the next command line
> that
> says the system cannot find the file specified...
>
> How do i fix this...Ive looked at other post and tried everyone of them
> and
> nothing has worked??

jeff

Ok once i do that what do i do? Should i try all those steps again?

jeff

"neil" wrote:

> Perhaps the file is actually missing. The next step would be to copy the
> original "system" file back into the "config" folder.
>
> Try "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\"
>
> Neil
>
> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When i startup my computer i get this message..
> >
> > "WIndows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
> >
> > ok ive been to the microsoft help website that help replace a missing
> > registry file but when i type "copy c:\windows\system32\config\system
> > c:\windows\tmp\system.bak " i get the message on the next command line
> > that
> > says the system cannot find the file specified...
> >
> > How do i fix this...Ive looked at other post and tried everyone of them
> > and
> > nothing has worked??

ShawnM

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003

technically once you do that you should be fine because the system folder is
just a sub folder of the system folder.