C2D e6400 Voltage question

defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I have my C2D e6400 on aftermarket air at 3.0 ghz stable (41C idle/ 52C load) but i was wondering about the voltage. I have it at 1.35v at the moment with a small offset. Would increasing the number in the voltage give me more or less power or more or less stability? I've had several blue screens on windows XP with it at 1.35V but im ok with a few if its stable like it is...Im just wondering if i can squeeze more out of it or make it even more stable?

Heres where im at right now but i want to see what more can be squeezed out and make it more stable.

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I wouldn't call a BSOD stable. Crashes and error messages could cause data corruption and render your OS unbootable or you can lose important data. But if you're happy that your programs/games run without failing then that's fine.

I've overclocked to where my games would run without crashing and obtain an extra 300-400mhz. But I don't have a problem losing my OS because I would just reimage my hard drive.

I'd give it a little more voltage or back off on the FSB.

Mondoman

Splendid
In general, with CPUs, RAM and so forth, increasing the voltage to a certain point will improve stability at the expense of longevity, the higher the voltage the lower the longevity.

If you haven't already, run some standard programs to assess your system stability: memtest86+ for at least a couple of complete passes, then Orthos in "blend mode" or similar PRIME95-derived stress testing program for at least a few hours.