c2q 6600 runs fine at stock 2.4ghz but any increase to fsb, no good

dkijc

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Hey Folks,

I'm rewriting EVERYTHING I wrote... somehow the page became inactive so I lost everything :(

to summarize

I have a machine with
-Core 2 Quad 6600 2.4ghz (with Zalman 7700CU 2ballbearing)
-Corsair 2x2gb XMS2DHX 5-5-5-18 (which is running at 940mhz 5,6,6,21| 2.0v)
-Asus Striker Extreme BIOS 1603
-Antec 900 (I think that's what it's called..)

I'm not rich or anything, but since cpu's don't cost as much as it used to be, I thought I might give OC'ing a go. :D

I read through different guides and I also read the How to OC C2Q cpus sticky thread.

No matter what settings I tried, my pc won't be stable.
I changed the VID to 1.3125 to compensate for the vDroop (I think that's what its called) the stock would run at (~ 1.232-1.184v)
tried to change the sb, nb, mem and to no avail.

I tested the ram with prime95 and it seems to be stable so ram wasn't the issue.. at least for now.

My load temperature would run around 58-62, on stock and with VID set to 1.3125 and fsb as 1333, the load would be around 65-68C.

But when I run the Prime95, no fsb setting i put would allow me to pass.
After coming back to it in about an hour or two (or more) my pc would be in Windows Login Screen which means it crashed and restarted.
It's been about a week or so of trial and error and still wouldn't work.

Now, when I'm trying to load, in any setting, besides being unstable, it would hang around Windows startup screen (with the logo and the status bar running across the bottom) sometimes hanging, sometimes bluescreening.

I was guessing and hoping it was the cooler issue, so I reapplied SilverArctic on to the heatspread but the temperature seems more high... (maybe i have to give it some time to allow it to sink into the cavity..lol)

When I just leave the processor to its stock setting (2.4ghz) it loads perfectly fine. but in any setting beyond that, it has hard time loading up.

So, my question is, do you think I broke the cput? If I did, is it possible to have a broken CPU running fine with the stock speed but it just won't be able to OC? Or hopefully, it's the cooler?

I adjusted my cpu to 2.53ghz this morning and I am going to test it tonight to see if it passes and will try to increment by .1ghz and see how it goes.

I'm thinking of buying a new cooler before I shoot the gun to get a new processor. and of course, after hearing what you geniuses has to say about my stupidity :)

(I feel like this is same as trying to learn how to drift. I REALLY want to know how to drift, but cars are too expensive and too expensive to fix for me to go out there and try! Remember when cpus were mad expensive and only the rich ones had the privilege to mess it up and buy another one? Not these days! lol...sorry.. i bet that didnt' make any sense. just came out :sarcastic: )

Thank you guys!! :D

cdl1701

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I had the same problem with the first q6600 that I got. It was fine at stock speeds but any OC and it was not stable. I RMA it back and my new one works great up to 3.4. I am using water cooling so I don't have to worry about heat.

fogartini

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
yah I had an e6600 thats I oc'd to 3.8 with no problems at all then I upgraded to the Q6600 and I cant get past 2.4 at all not even 2 and Im using all the same settings I have a feeling that certain chips just dont want to be overclocked

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I have the Q6600, I can OC to 3.6 on the rampage- strange thing is.. I can't use 400x9, but I can use 450x8. This is at 1.45v
One thing to note - you're using Striker Extreme, Nvidia chips OC poorly.

woods95662

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
You could be pushing your ram too hard. When you increase the FSB the clock rate goes up on the ram as well. Turn the RAM ratio down until you get a stable cpu overclock and then you can start pushing the ram. Try a 1:1 ratio on the ram, 8x multiplier, and a 400 FSB and you'll get a 3.2 GHZ. Most 6600's will run that. Turn up the the CPU voltage to 1.4 in the BIOS. If it runs stable you can start lowering the voltage until it doesn. Obviously if it doesn't run stable try inceasing it a 10th. Be sure to check the Vdroop and your temps with a good progam like Coretemp.

mrmez

Splendid
Try giving the ram some more volts. It doesnt seem to be running 1:1 either, so do that. Also set the multiplier to max (9).

My q6600 B3 can run @2.7ghz @ 1.085v under load, so its not the voltage there.

woods95662

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
The only reason I say an 8x multiplier and a 400 FSB is you can run your ram at a 1:1 synced ratio @ 800mhz w/ a 3.2 overclock Statistics have show in the benchmarks the Q6600 likes the ram synced w/ the FSB speed. Just what I've read on this site and others I haven't actually tested it on mine. The next step in RAM synch would be 400 FSB 9x multiplier for a 3.6 overclock. I hope to get there.

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

What works for you doesn't actually works for others. I'm on 1.45v at 3.6 while my friend got it on 1.485

My bet is that its on the mainboard. I had one board before this and I cant get pass 3.2, got a new board and was able to push it to 3.8 - but the voltage was too high so I am now running at 3.6