[SOLVED] Cable adapter for front panel USB

Gnu User

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
I'm using about a ten year old case with a 10th generation Asus Intel mb. Everything is fine except the plastic plugs leading to the front panel USB on the case do not match the sockets on the MB. The MB has a missing pin at the bottom right hand position. The cable has it one position to the left.

Is there a solution to this problem? Possibly some kind of adapter?

Regards - Tony

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
List your components for the best help.

As far as I'm aware the USB standard pinout is to have the bottom right (viewed straight on vertically) pin missing. If your case has the pinouts different and they were working previous, then I can only assume your case was proprietary and built for a specific motherboard (i.e. a Dell, HP etc).

If that is the situation, I would not recommend using any adapter or re-wiring unless you have a pinout diagram for the case. You have no idea what is going where.

Gnu User

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Thanks for the link. I may get one of those for myself.

The computer I am putting together is for my nephew and he isn't bothered about not having front panel stuff.

As I think about it more this case dates back about 16 years, not 10. I built it for him then and now we are re-using the case which is sturdy and in good shape.