kel789

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I am interested in splitting Time Warner cable signal after the cable box to one regular TV and one to a WinTV-HVR-1850 for a computer to watch shows with the option of recording. Does it work? Thanks in advance.

chugot9218

Honorable
I am not 100% sure on this, I only remember in the past, but I believe if you want to access functions like the channel menu and OnDemand, then you need the card or a box going directly into the PC. However, if you have analog signal then you can go straight into the tuner. I believe the tuner should be able to pick up the digital channels from the box. If I am wrong, put the splitter before the cable box and run the other half to your PC.

kel789

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
thanks Dingo07 for the images and thanks Chugot9218 for the info.

1. Should I go cheap and get a card like WinTV-HVR-1250 or WinTV-HVR-1150 for a one signal method or a 1 channel at a time method?

2. Chugot9218, what do I need if I want 2 channels at a time?

chugot9218

Honorable
Well, if it works like it does in my house, the line (coaxial cable) from the wall goes into the cable box BUT that line will also work fine plugged into a coaxial port on a TV, it just will not have the advanced functions provided by the box (digital, HD, OnDemand). However, if it does indeed work like this, I think you could put the splitter in between the cable box and the wall, and run half of it to the box and half to the PC. You may get seperate control over the sources then, although I cannot guarantee it. Otherwise, his solution with the card and a TV Tuner is the way to go. It will give you all the functions of a HD cable box without the box, only the card, which then goes into your PC. Your other TV would still have to be plugged into the box to achieve the above described functionality (HD, etc...).

If it's anything similar to FiOS you can't access on any of that stuff through an analog tuner or normal digital tuner.

You would need something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815706001

or

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-WinTV-DCR-2650-Tuner-Cable/dp/B005FPT38A/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348259569&sr=1-7&keywords=digital+cable+tuner

This should double for both a TV and a TV tuner card for PC.

If your TV has a built-in QAM tuner (also known as a “Clear QAM” tuner) and is connected directly to the cable wiring in your home, it is capable of receiving the digital signals that we transmit without encryption (“in the clear”), including your local broadcast stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc). If your TV is an HDTV, you can view the HD signals that we transmit in the clear. If your HDTV has a built-in digital television (DTV) tuner (also known as an “ATSC” tuner), you can connect an antenna to your TV and receive local broadcast stations’ signals over the air. However, to receive any HD cable networks such as ESPN, A&E, Discovery, Food Network and more, or to receive HD On Demand programming, you will need a cable connection and a HD set-top box or CableCARD™ from Time Warner Cable.

If you want to replace you cable boxes, this is a cheaper solution in the long run too by just using cable cards.

I suggest you take a look at this too:

http://cetoncorp.com/products/ceton_q/

http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

Wolfshadw

Titan
The problem with the majority of TV Tuner cards in this day and age is that they cannot record HD content from a cable company. Additionally, the coaxial output from a set top box, which would be needed to connect to a TV Tuner Card to record encrypted channels, is normally (if not always) downgraded to a standard definition resolution. Trust me, you don't want to try and watch a 480i resolution recording on a 1080p resolution HDTV.

There are some alternatives:

1) Hauppauge Colossus - $135
This device will allow you to use one of the HD outputs from your set top box to record TV programs on your PC. This device does not have a tuner so it will only record whatever is currently being output from the set top box. If you're only interested in recording a program you are currently watching or just a single channel while you're away, this, in conjunction with a set top box, should work out for you.

2) CableCard devices like the aforementioned Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E/USB, the Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650, and the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3CC and the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 6CC.
These devices work nearly the same as the set top box from Time Warner. The only real difference is that there is only one-way communications - from the cable company to the device. You cannot order OnDemand or PPV content. Additionally, the Guide Channel is unavailable, but most (if not all) media center programs include a channel guide which is downloaded from the internet. In all other ways, these cablecard devices work essentially the same as a cable company's DVR box.

-Wolf sends

P.S. I've been a very happy owner of the Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E card for just over one year.

kel789

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Thanks wolfshadw.

wolfshadw, can I use the WinTV-DCR-2650 to record a program that I am watching like a VCR recorder without a cablecard device. I am interested in recording children's TV programs. Can the WinTV-DCR-2650 used as a player to play programs that have been recorded? What do you suggested? I have Time Warner cable services.

You will be able to record any program that you're able to view, programs like Windows Media Center have built in guides that update through the internet and recording abilities. There are numerous Windows Media alternatives too you can try.

Wolfshadw

Titan

The Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 is a cablecard device. If you mean can you use it to record without a cablecard from your cable provider, the answer is no. Any of the cablecard devices need to have a cablecard installed.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, all cable companies are required to broadcast local affiliate channels (CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS) in the clear (without encryption). This means as long as your HDTV (or standard TV Tuner) has a Clear-QAM tuner, you are able to watch them without the use of a set top box. If the children programs you're looking to record are broadcast on one of the local channels (or any other channel sent in the clear), then you can use a splitter between the wall outlet and the cable set top box. One end going to the set top box and the other going to the standard TV Tuner card (like the Hauppauge WinTV-DVR-1150/1250/1600/1850/2250). The set top box can display any channel on your HDTV while the TV Tuner card can display/record any channel on your PC monitor at the same time.

-Wolf sends