[SOLVED] Cable extensions for my build

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I am currently in the process of building a new PC and my friend recommended these white cable extensions, as he uses them himself.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBN1RY...abc_K38W8FB82C0N41EF3ZMB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My question is, are most of these cable extensions compatible with most psus? I'm going to be using a rm850x. It does say these extensions don't directly connect into the psu, just an extension off the psu wires I guess.

I also see they offer them in 30cm length or 50cm length but i assume 30cm should be long enough in most situations right?

Solution
Extensions will work with any PSU's on the market so long as the connectors comply with the ATX 12v 2.x standard(which is what's going around now). Custom made cables are what you need to be worried about, since the pinouts are not the same for all the PSU's on the market. If you have funds, I'd suggest Ensourced or Mod-One(Titan Rig).

Lutfij

Titan
Extensions will work with any PSU's on the market so long as the connectors comply with the ATX 12v 2.x standard(which is what's going around now). Custom made cables are what you need to be worried about, since the pinouts are not the same for all the PSU's on the market. If you have funds, I'd suggest Ensourced or Mod-One(Titan Rig).

Reactions: Adam0ne
Solution
I am currently in the process of building a new PC and my friend recommended these white cable extensions, as he uses them himself.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBN1RY...abc_K38W8FB82C0N41EF3ZMB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My question is, are most of these cable extensions compatible with most psus? I'm going to be using a rm850x. It does say these extensions don't directly connect into the psu, just an extension off the psu wires I guess.

I also see they offer them in 30cm length or 50cm length but i assume 30cm should be long enough in most situations right?

DO NOT use cable extensions. So many people on these and other forums have problems that are solved by NOT using cable extensions. The longer the cable, the more resistance and voltages will drop. You are also left with a huge mess of cable to hide if you still want your build to look good.

If you want "prettier" cables, you replace the cables. Not extend them. That's one of the nice things about fully modular PSUs.