Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I have been hunting for replacements for this cable (I want black, red, or black/red cabling) to lose the hotdog colors in the back of my fully tempered glass case.

I assume by now they are IDE/FDD or Molex of some sort but I wouldn't trust my gut on the needed voltage and such as the wire or package says nothing...and the seller of the product was not helpful at all.

Product Page

Could anyone tell me what I need to look for to replace these or point me to some long ones that are either plain black or red?

I tried a shroud...a bad choice of one admittedly, but I don't feel like dealing with the hassle to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Those are proprietary connectors and the cables aren't sold separately. You will need to sleeve the cables yourself. Please leave the cables be, you're only going to make things worse if you try sleeving and don't know what you're doing. I'm also wondering why you're using that adapter, in the first place...? If it's for a dual boot system, if the dual boot is done right, you don't need an add-on PCI expansion device.

Lutfij

Titan
Those are proprietary connectors and the cables aren't sold separately. You will need to sleeve the cables yourself. Please leave the cables be, you're only going to make things worse if you try sleeving and don't know what you're doing. I'm also wondering why you're using that adapter, in the first place...? If it's for a dual boot system, if the dual boot is done right, you don't need an add-on PCI expansion device.

Solution
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
No, I may not be much for the mod side of things, but I full well know the software end of things.

EDIT:

Sorry, and I don't mean to be rude or anything with this statement, but this just occurred to me while thinking about somebody actually using a four button HDD Power switch just to dual boot lol.

If someone WERE trying to dual boot...why would they want a component that was meant to shut off power to multiple drives in the first place?

That would defeat the purpose of booting two operating system at the same time entirely.

If my system were that simple and I didn't know how to set up a dual boot, although with two drives you could simply swap the load order, I'd just yank the cords out of one drive. personally heh.

END:

Its not for a dual boot, my system has a drive bay holding 5 drives, 2 SSD and 3 HDD, one of which I use to swap files between them all that is always on but my BIOS has no option to power them off fully.

I have Multiple OS and reasons for separating the drives, such as keeping my programming on its own and one to literally format if I choose to do something foolish or my own programs test runs are risky on the drive I work on.

At the very least I can stop searching for replacements.

All I truly want is for them to be out of sight but they are just a bit too short to be hidden like all my other wiring and the color through the glass (even being tinted) is an eyesore, especially after all my time doing cable management to hide the rest.

Thanks for the response though, appreciate it.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Since you told me I can't replace the wires, I just bought Black SATA extensions...even though all the cords are too long I can at least tuck the ugly ones away with the rest of my PSU cables.

I really do appreciate the info on the cord, I was sure they had to be standardized of some sort...that could have ended badly for me.

I'm going to mark your answer as correct, although I'm a bit reluctant to do so since that will lead people to think this was about a dual boot system, you still deserve the credit for answering my main question.

Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan
If someone WERE trying to dual boot...why would they want a component that was meant to shut off power to multiple drives in the first place?

That would defeat the purpose of booting two operating system at the same time entirely.
Thats not what dualbooting is.

Dual boot is having two different OS's on the same drive or system, and choosing which one at boot time.

You can't run both at the same time.

If you did want to run 2 different OS's, one of more would be in a VirtualMachine. Basically, an entire PC encapsulated in software.

Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Thats not what dualbooting is.

Dual boot is having two different OS's on the same drive or system, and choosing which one at boot time.

You can't run both at the same time.

If you did want to run 2 different OS's, one of more would be in a VirtualMachine. Basically, an entire PC encapsulated in software.

I worded that wrong, I meant booting two drives at startup to accomplish something similar to a dual boot.

I know what dual booting is, I sometimes put two of the same OS on one drive to recover the other files or simply copy them over if one crashed or something of the sort (Sometimes OEM OS discs like Dell and HP are pretty brutal about installation media), forcing you completely repartition the drive.

I've also had an Linux/Windows 7 dual booting setup, and I'm likely to do it with Windows 10 again since Windows 10 is horrible.

My point was simply that no matter the circumstance you would not want a switch to turn off drive power if your intention was to boot two OS when you turned on the power. It would be the same thing I AM actually doing, running Multiple OS by swapping drives.

I appreciate the correction, since reading what you quoted, it definitely did not come out right.